No Queen - advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perrybee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I did an A/S on June 2nd. Q in new BB has been laying well since procedure, though last week I could not find her but saw egg's + larva. On inspection today I still could not find her though this week I only have sealed brood no egg's or larva. My old BB on inspection today has a few egg's so I am hoping that I have a new mated Q in there though I did not see her today.

Any advice what to do with apparently Q less colony? No Q cells were seen and I don't have sufficient egg's from other colony to test for Q less state. Thinking of buying and introducing new Q. Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Thinking of buying and introducing new Q. Any suggestion?

Not without first proving it is Q-?

I'm still only a beginner but I also looked in my hive today after having carried out an AS four weeks ago. The Q+ hive had no eggs and no larvae, just frames and frames of sealed brood. I think in my case she had layed loads of eggs a week after the AS and now she might not have the room or nurse bees to move any further until they hatch. I spotted the queen pottering about and looking bored.

Wait and see:

If your new queen is laying she will lay plenty of eggs in the next couple of weeks so you could wait to transfer a test frame.
If you have lost your old queen you might be best to combine the two colonies.
You then have all your bees with a nice new queen.

Queens go off lay.....trust me they do.....I have heard so many people say ' I am queenless' be patient....she is probably just having a rest. Try a frame of eggs if you must but I them eggs will come back as sure as eggs is eggs!

Back