No eggs, larvae or brood.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benaghbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 national hives
Last inspection saw no eggs, larvae or brood. Q present. Apiguard put on 8 days ago and it looks like they have cleared out eggs, larvae and brood. Any thoughts. Up until apiguard all seemed normal. Any thoughts?? :thanks:

Just to confirm, what did you see 16 days ago or the inspection before last

Eggs, larvae and capped brood were present. All was going well took super off and put apiguard on and everything seems to have gone since them! Have read about this happening some others as a result of Apiguard. Hoping that things will restart. I am a first year beek.

Should i simply end treatment and hope Q starts laying again?

Thanks Erica. Don't think there is much else i can do. Appreciate the help.

Thanks Erica. Don't think there is much else i can do. Appreciate the help.

Hi benaghbees,
In exactly the same position as you on a big colony, so I am not worried about bee numbers per se in the short term. However, I am concerned about winter bees, but Ivy still not in full flow here, so there is hope. The one thing I did notice though was that some frames had a round cupsized empty space in them, so hopefully they are making comb ready for HM to lay in. Fingers crossed for us both.

Hi benaghbees,
In exactly the same position as you on a big colony, so I am not worried about bee numbers per se in the short term. However, I am concerned about winter bees, but Ivy still not in full flow here, so there is hope. The one thing I did notice though was that some frames had a round cupsized empty space in them, so hopefully they are making comb ready for HM to lay in. Fingers crossed for us both.

I'm the same... plenty of bees at the moment but queens on both of my hives slowed to almost nothing so i'm hoping the new load of pollen coming in will push mine to move some stores around and get the old girls pumping out some winter eggs!

Thanks Beeno and Roola,

Some comfort in knowing I'm not the only one. Apiguard coming off! No second tray going in and fingers crossed.

Roola, this is on the hive that is on Bayvarol, right? Just to be clear to the OP that others are having brood breaks without Apiguard. I have one WITH Apiguard but it might not BE Apiguard given others' experience without. Yours does sound extreme though. With a bit of luck the bees'll sort it out anyway

Roola, this is on the hive that is on Bayvarol, right? Just to be clear to the OP that others are having brood breaks without Apiguard. I have one WITH Apiguard but it might not BE Apiguard given others' experience without. Yours does sound extreme though. With a bit of luck the bees'll sort it out anyway

yep with Bayvarol. I have faith in the little buggers... they are feisty as anything so i reckon they are survivors!

Last inspection saw no eggs, larvae or brood. Q present. Apiguard put on 8 days ago and it looks like they have cleared out eggs, larvae and brood. Any thoughts. Up until apiguard all seemed normal. Any thoughts?? :thanks:

I've had exactly the same concerns - see thread http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=364559#post364559

I took the Thymol off early because I was not getting much of a mite drop and I had concerns about lack of brood but at the last inspection on 18 September, 5 days after I removed the treatment, there was still no sign of eggs or brood. The big question for me now is whether to feed with Thymolised syrup, which has benefits for the bees in winter, or just use untreated 2:1 sugar syrup, in case the smell puts the queen off laying.

Any thoughts?

CVB

Yes, since I am in EXACTLY your position. I EXPECT to see less BIAS if I look because others, thymol treatment or not, are seeing the same. Also, as my bee numbers grow, BIAS is a lot better hidden and I have no reason to sweep bees in looking for it. I would not expect thymolising fewd to have a bearing but personally will not feed yet as the ivy pours in.

Could it not be a bit of a trend then this year? Maybe as flows have stopped and especially pollen, maybe laying reflected this as for me there has been nothing much about since early August and very little pollen. Maybe with the ivy being late, laying is less this year for the time of year?

Latest posts

Back