No Brood Virgin queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David G

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 small
I collected a small swarm a week ago and have housed them in a new hive, the problem is there are no brood in the frame cells, I have spoken with friends and we presume the queen is virgin and needs to mate as she left the hive today.
She is back in the hive now but I guess she will leave tomorrow in the search for a mate.

If I manage to get hold of a frame with brood on will this help if yes is there any body near Newhaven that has some frames with brood on.

Please forgive any use of the wrong terminology I have just started and this is my first post.

Thanks

Dave

no need - presume you have on okay number of bees? just leave to draw wax while she makes like a geordie lass on friday night.

how small? are they in a full hive or nuc?

If they are drawing comb and she is actually going on mating flights, she should be laying within the week. Just be patient. Feed with some sugar syrup (1 sugar : 1 water) if they are not bringing in a good excess.

They don't seem as though they are going to abscond at this stage.

Welcome to the forum BTW

Regards, RAB

They are in a National hive but as the swarm is small i have about half the frames in with a blanking plate, the workers are busy "Drawing wax" (I presume this means honey and wax on the frames). I can't believe how much they have produced in a week, oh yes I have a green feeder on top with 1:1 syrup in.

Lets hope you are right, the trouble is the hive is outside the office window and I can see what is happening all the time I am in the office at home.

Thanks for all the replies

Dave

If they are drawing comb and she is actually going on mating flights, she should be laying within the week. Just be patient. Feed with some sugar syrup (1 sugar : 1 water) if they are not bringing in a good excess.

They don't seem as though they are going to abscond at this stage.

Welcome to the forum BTW

Regards, RAB

Some Qs don't start laying for 3 weeks or so!!!

Some Qs don't start laying for 3 weeks or so!!!

Not 3 weeks after the mating flights. Not at this time of the year.

When she has been mated the workers will feed her to lay. Of that I am very confident. If it doesn't happen they are likely to be a doomed colony at this time of the year.

:iagree:

if you're seeing mating flights then laying not far away.

the problem earlier in the season was getting queens out and mating.

Last edited:
will there still drones out there for her to mate with then ???

My hives have enough drones for about 5,000 queens... or so it looks and sounds on a sunny afternoon...not worthy

I collected a small swarm a week ago and have housed them in a new hive, the problem is there are no brood in the frame cells, I have spoken with friends and we presume the queen is virgin and needs to mate as she left the hive today.
She is back in the hive now but I guess she will leave tomorrow in the search for a mate.

If I manage to get hold of a frame with brood on will this help if yes is there any body near Newhaven that has some frames with brood on.

Please forgive any use of the wrong terminology I have just started and this is my first post.

Thanks

Dave
Hi there, I live about 3 miles away from you so can help out if needed. Have you joined the Sussex BKA? We have a meeting this Saturday pm
Sue

Back