Nitrile gloves - supply and demand

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bought 6 boxes of latex gloves >£50 nearly gave me tourettes

To all you trying to purchase nitrile gloves, I will get my partner to send you some of hers courtesy of the NHS.
BUT, THEY HAVENT ANY, nor the correct masks or aprons, in fact she has been scanning covid patients for the last five weeks with minimal or no PPE.

Lots of options out there for bees, marigolds/ansell chemical gloves.

PLEASE LET OUR NHS STAFF HAVE WHAT THEY NEED AND COME HOME SAFE & WELL.

Some of these may be caring for you or your family one day.

Good on you all at Bee Equipment, you are legends and will always have my custom first.

Last edited:
A fellow bee farmer - Dorian death (guess what his other job is :D) just posted today that he usually pays £1.49 a set for disposable theatre gowns -went to check today thinking of restocking - gone up to £11.49 a piece

To all you trying to purchase nitrile gloves, I will get my partner to send you some of hers courtesy of the NHS.
BUT, THEY HAVENT ANY, nor the correct masks or aprons, in fact she has been scanning covid patients for the last five weeks with minimal or no PPE.

Lots of options out there for bees, marigolds/ansell chemical gloves.

PLEASE LET OUR NHS STAFF HAVE WHAT THEY NEED AND COME HOME SAFE & WELL.

Some of these may be caring for you or your family one day.

Good on you all at Bee Equipment, you are legends and will always have my custom first.

I agree .. but I rather assume that, as the ones I buy are on ebay, that these are not required by, or being offered to, the NHS. I didn't buy them anyway ! .. if the NHS (or any front line staff) needs the ones I have left over I would willingly donate them ...

Thankfully, my day job requires me to wear nitrile gloves during my work. For the last year I have been saving three used (clean) pairs every working day for my beekeeping chores. Now my hoarding seems to be paying off:winner1st:

Ansell Touch and Tuff chemical gloves are excellent for beekeeping. A nice shade of green too, my bees often tell me how much they like them.

Sainsburys sell their own brand of washing up gloves £2.65 a pair. I use cotton liners to soak up the sweat and then just rinse them through afterwards. Bees hardly ever sting me through them.

Everyone may just be better off getting themselves a leather pair.

why? plenty of marigolds in the shops..?
Going back to leather gloves is definitely a step back to the dark ages

Think I suggested that on the 2nd post several pages ago..I still use my leather gloves when needed in a rush or stroppy bees but most the time it’s no gloves at all.

Re gloves

I don’t know why everyone is getting concerned about buying nitrile gloves

For one thing they are single use. Every pair you then dispose off can’t be
Recycled and adds to the mountain of single use plastic - as most are not latex which does rot eventually.

Why not invest a tenner in 4 pairs of marigolds and then simply wash them in
soda crystals and hot water to clean the them up. They are as good if not better than nitrile gloves, thicker and you don’t get stung through them half as much.

If you go to B&M they do four packs for £1.50 and Lidl do a pack for £0.75

I generally buy a tenners worth and then work my way through them and wash en-mass.

As an aside, other than the fact they stored the residue pheromones from stings I used kid glove gauntlets for years with no bother and before any ‘hygiene Nazi’ informs me I’ll die and so will my bees from transmissible diseases, I say I’ve never had an issue.

Hey ho - if any one wants I can supply gloves and a packet of soda crystals for £25

Seeing as some have spent double that I’d reckon that’s a BAR-GAIN m’Dames !

KR

S

:iagree:
My nitriles are used till they fall apart
Twice at the bees, thrown into a wash with clothes in between. After the bees they are used gardening till they rip.

Marigolds are too clumsy for inspecting bees. I know - lots of people use them, as well as leather gloves.

If they are way too big for you maybe but then the same would be true of nitriles. Buy a pair that fit and they are like a second skin.

Latest posts

Back