Night time

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinySideUp

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None, ex-beekeeper
Has anyone ever carried out an inspection at night using only a torch? I keep toying with the idea as it would be much easier to see into the cells and there would be few flying bees. Just a thought.

Sounds like a plan why not give it a go? Do you think you'll need to wear your bee suit?

Is this a joke? If you are serious then don't use white light. The bees will be after it like moths. You need to use red light but inspection would need to be at a minimum!

Is this a joke? If you are serious then don't use white light. The bees will be after it like moths. You need to use red light but inspection would need to be at a minimum!

No joke, just a thought and I wondered if anyone had done it, if only for the crack.

I know what happens but it is better that you find out yourself.

Some hives become really mad when you do it. Most became mad already at sunset.

Last edited:
Not done an inspection at night but the other day about 0130 hours I had just got home from work & let the dog out. Looked at the hive in the garden and there were about 10 bees very busy around the entrance popping in and out, on patrol. There was a wax moth on the front of the hive which I squashed before going to bed.
Just one thought about night time inspections I'd guess 99% of the bees would be home so the frames would be full.. This would make more tasks more difficult like checking for Q ceĺls or stores / brood etc. Then it's generally cooler at night so a loss of heat from the hive by lifting the lid causing the bees to use more energy to regain the temperature

Did try a quick manipulation at night once - you know I will just quickly .......
Never again they go nuts and attack. Don't even do it for the crack.

The fact that the hive is going to be jammed packed full of bees at night as opposed to a majority of them away flying during the day would make inspecting for eggs much harder I would have thought?

I tried to move a hive at night once. Just a few inches to level it up. The bees did not like it and went mad, pouring out to see what was going on. I made a hasty retreat.

No joke, just a thought and I wondered if anyone had done it, if only for the crack.
I run moth traps in the garden, where I've also got beehives. I worried about bees, but I've only ever found one or two bees in them, despite them coming on at dusk when my bees are still active.

How would you feel if somebody started looking in your home in the middle of the night with a torch,I suspect bees are not much different.

Has anyone ever carried out an inspection at night using only a torch? I keep toying with the idea as it would be much easier to see into the cells and there would be few flying bees. Just a thought.

DON'T DO IT!!!

Opened one of my hives several years ago to do the very same thing. Remember every bee is home in the dark and not happy when you remove the roof off their house.
They exited the hive like a cloud and chased me thirty yards attacking me all the time. I did go back later to throw a cover over the open hive from a distance. I'll never open a hive after dark again.

I was using a hot wire anemometer to measure entrance air velocity..(looks like a long stick). They ignored it during day but at night... They were all over it. they ran up the stick part and I had to drop it.
Going inside at night? It would have to be for a very large reward and with impressive PPE

personally I'm really struggling to understand why you would want to disturb the bees when they are home and ready for bed and also why you would want to do an inspection when they are all they're rather than out foraging?
I remember when I tried to close up the entrance to move them the next day. Their reactions seem to be heightened and you are absolutely asking for trouble...

Latest posts

Back