Night Inspections?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenson

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Well, it is the beginners section :)

So, before I venture down the garden in the middle of the dark (I should say I have good night vision and can basically "see in the dark"), I thought I'd ask the question.

Has anyone tried inspecting a hive at night? (Given that the air temp is say 14°C+)

I'm just wondering what the bees would do. I have searched the forum, and the net, and nobody mentions it, one way or the other.

When I messed up as a new beek and had a swarm which work prevented me from dealing with in daylight, I hived a swarm in the dark from a cardboard box. Swarms are supposed to be mellow but they went mental. They are placid bees too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't get much following either but they followed me round for 15 minutes before they left me alone too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Apart from agreeing with Finny, I've been in hives in the dark and if you've done it once you probably wont do it again. The bees become nightmare crawlers, the crawl up your arms and also under things, on your suit legs etc. you come inside afterwards looking like a cast from the film swarm.
If you read Practical beekeeping by David Cramp, he details how he was stung more from moving bees at night, than any other time. Just releasing a queen from a cut out in the dark gave me a few kisses, not any more!
In France here there a few beekeepers that Inspect "under the light of the moon!" Weird!!!!!

Apart from the above sage words the reason your research showed nothing is because no one with any sense does it and so don't write about it.

KISS

PH

DON'T DO IT!!!

I opened one of my so called placid colonies a couple of years ago one evening after dark. They came out en-mass and attacked me for the whole 20 yards as I ran up the path to my car!
Never again

Well, it is the beginners section :) . . . . . . . . . .
So it is, nearly fell foul of that! :spy:

I should say I have good night vision and can basically "see in the dark" .
Nobody can "See in the dark" not even bats! Felines, nocturnal creatures can see better in low light but dark is dark. You need some source of light.
Remember that the bees also, can not see in the dark so won't fly but will crawl, feeling their way forward to seek out and repel the invader, (YOU)!
This will mean they'll all find the smallest chink in your PPE and investigate!:sos:

I thought I'd ask the question. . . . . .
I think you already have the answer. My question is why would you want to do it in the first place???

I'm just wondering what the bees would do. I have searched the forum, and the net, and nobody mentions it, one way or the other.
Why not give it a go and let us all know what happens?
You could be a celebrity on here before your 10th post:welcome:

So it is, nearly fell foul of that! :spy:

Nobody can "See in the dark" not even bats! Felines, nocturnal creatures can see better in low light but dark is dark. You need some source of light.
Remember that the bees also, can not see in the dark so won't fly but will crawl, feeling their way forward to seek out and repel the invader, (YOU)!
This will mean they'll all find the smallest chink in your PPE and investigate!:sos:

Spiders can but moles have trouble infact they have trouble seeing in the daylight..:rolleyes: , the OP must be Peter Parker me thinks..:D

Whether you can see in the dark or not - inspecting when every flying bees is tucked up in the hive is going to be an absolute nightmare.
And they do not like it, believe you me!!

Our French cousins inspect bees with a red light after sunset.... loonies if you ask me... but try it and let us know the outcome.

Nos da

In the late evening, you will find that many bees prefer to climb/crawl - usually up your beesuit/trousers. The ones you dislodge from the crown board and frames will test how well sealed up your bee suit is.
Sometimes you have no option but to check bees in less than favourable conditions but be prepared for a warm reception.

I am in the process of moving one of my hives a couple of feet to one side to create space for another one. I thought maybe it would be good to move the hive at dusk last night. The bees went absolutely mad, went into immediate attack mode. I had on a pair of shorts under my bee suit and somehow the belt came undone and the shorts fell down while I was retreating down the garden. The thought that there was only a thin later of bee suit between my backside and those angry bees added some extra impetus to my rather awkward run.

Back