Nibble nibble poly hive .

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanrpwaacs

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3-6
I noticed this on the side of one of my paynes polys today . I suspect its a bird . Anyone else notice similar goings on . Maybe a chicken wire cover will need knocking up .
c08225e08b836bf99cfc02ca5c410ee0.jpg

Whatever done the damage it seem's to be a fault worth considering when using weak walled hives..

It's probably woodpecker damage .. they will do through the wall of a cedar hive in an afternoon if they have learned the hives are a source of food in winter. Some plastic feed sacks cut up and pinned to the sides of the hive will stop them as they can't get a grip on the shiny surface.

I had last spring 20 polyhives, and 18 had more or less holes.
Now I bought metal plaster mesh.

Every morning I have quite a big woodpecker searching the hives, what is the dinner of day. They seems to be two different. - time to act...

How to repair the damage? With polyurethane glue (PU). Take a piece of stiff waterbroof foam plastic and repair the hole. A little bit water mist hardens the PU.

Last edited:
My harmfull woodpecker is grey headed woodpecker, Picus canus. If I shoot that bird, potential penalty is 840€. Penalty of Picus major is 34€

Most common woodpecker is Picus major, but it seldom knocks bee hives. However it is a predator. It destroys bird homes and eates chicks of small birds.

Last edited:
I had last spring 20 polyhives, and 18 had more or less holes.
Now I bought metal plaster mesh.

Every morning I have quite a big woodpecker searching the hives, what is the dinner of day. They seems to be two different. - time to act...

How to repair the damage? With polyurethane glue (PU). Take a piece of stiff waterbroof foam plastic and repair the hole. A little bit water mist hardens the PU.

Wear disposable gloves when using PU glue
Its wonderful stuff but it's a swine to get off your fingers once it sets

Mine have something similar as they have been pecked by inquisitive pheasants

The green woodpecker (the only species that attacks hives in the UK) usually leaves claw marks where it grips the hive while it pecks the hole. I can't see any evidence of such claw marks in the photo. Mice maybe?

You're lucky it's on the outside and you can repair it just now.
My bees chew my Paynes hives from the inside.

You're lucky it's on the outside and you can repair it just now.
My bees chew my Paynes hives from the inside.

You need some of my propolis varnish .... never had a problem with the bees and my Paynes Polys ... Kingspan ... cut edges .. now that's another issue ..!!

Wear disposable gloves when using PU glue
Its wonderful stuff but it's a swine to get off your fingers once it sets

Even worse if you need to have a quick slash half way through the job:willy_nilly:

Last edited:
You need some of my propolis varnish .... never had a problem with the bees and my Paynes Polys ... Kingspan ... cut edges .. now that's another issue ..!!

Yes, I might try that.
I make such a good job of cleaning/sterilising the boxes between use that all the bee applied propolis disappears.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back