Newby here & in beekeeping.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rking1950

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National

Hi Guys n Gals
I'm a newby on here and beekeeping too, I'm after a mentor in the N/West near Manchester.

Also am almost ready for NUC or colony, can not afford a lot, as I'm a retired disabled guy.

I'm also looking for out apiary in the N/west area, if anyone knows any where.

Hope someone can help me out in any way.
Thanks in advance.

welcome to the forum, a bit late for a nuc but not impossible, how ready is ready, have you done a course, read a lot of books or just want someone to help you until you get running, how disabled are you as it can be backbreaking stuff, you must think risk assessments these days

Hi rking1950.

Welcome to the Forum.

A strange place, full of wisdom, wisecracks, weirdos and wrangling.

It has it's own rhythm - and blues.
A great place if you can ignore the bickering and concentrate on the brilliant.

Your nearest BKA is probably Stockport - meets WednesdAys, I think.
There's one in Oldham.
I'm a member of Manchester & District lot. Good crowd.

Been on a course yet? Essential, I reckon. And getting a mentor (keep your hands off mine).

Hope you find the right contacts.

Enjoy the crack; enjoy the craft.

Dusty

Last edited:
Late for a nuc?

I am still to make some up not to mention start the cells off...

Lets see: sucks pencil thoughtfully.

19th July now,plus to come August, Sepetmber and October, plus with luck some November.

Bon Voyage

PH

Thanks to all

Hi again
I've read a lot of books, been to a few apiary meets, only need a roof for my first hive then it's all finished. Already a member of Stockport branch of BBKA, I'll be doing a coarse after I've had bees for 1yr, and that was told to me by experienced bee keepers.
Thanks for your info, still looking for a mentor and hive parts. I've a spinal disability but having help with hive.

Have you considered a top bar hive instead of national? Might be easier with a bad back, there're no heavy boxes to lift and it's all at the one level.

Of course, don't use 'em myself - any thoughts from folks that actually know a bit about TBHs?

I'll be doing a coarse after I've had bees for 1yr, and that was told to me by experienced bee keepers.
Thanks for your info, still looking for a mentor and hive parts. I've a spinal disability but having help with hive.

curious as to the thinking behind doing a course a year after having bees as opposed to a course before - did the experienced beeks explain why?

Latest posts

Back