Newbies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peternac40

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My name is Pablo, 34 years old and I live in Belfast city centre, BT12.

I am newbie in bee-keeping and I am carrying out some research in order to learn what skills and equipment I need in case I make my mind and I decide to start bee-keeping.

I am writing here to offer myself to help others with experience in the area so I can learn from them.

my email: [email protected]

Why would you want to do research?

I would suggest getting in contact with Belfast Bee Keepers you will find them on UBKA web site.

Busy Bee

Welcome Pablo,
As Busy bee suggests you local association is a good place to start for information. But one thing I have found out - You always need more equipment than you think!

BB
I don't think Pablo meant academic research, but research as in "finding out".

My name is Pablo, 34 years old and I live in Belfast city centre, BT12.

I am newbie in bee-keeping and I am carrying out some research in order to learn what skills and equipment I need in case I make my mind and I decide to start bee-keeping.

I am writing here to offer myself to help others with experience in the area so I can learn from them.

my email: [email protected]

Hello Pablo!

I'm new to bee keeping too. Your local bee keeping association should be able to offer taster sessions.

There's a wealth of useful information on the internet. The National Bee Unit has some good fact sheets to give you an idea of what is involved.

Book-wise I've been using '[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-Started-Beekeeping-Teach-Yourself/dp/1444101188/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307617683&sr=8-1"]Get Started in Beekeeping[/ame]' by Adrian and Claire Waring as the set text for my beginner's course.

It's a good introduction but I've found '[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bees-Bottom-Garden-Alan-Campion/dp/0907908977/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307617640&sr=8-1"]Bees at the Bottom of the Garden[/ame]' to be a bit more friendly and with helpful diagrams and pictures. Both are quite cheap and available second hand.

I also have the '[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Beekeepers-Bible-honey-recipes/dp/0007279892/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307617609&sr=8-1"]Collins Beekeeping Bible[/ame]' which is an amazing collection of knowledge on bees, beekeeping and recipes but it is a bit more expensive.

yes, "to find out"

Welcome Pablo,
As Busy bee suggests you local association is a good place to start for information. But one thing I have found out - You always need more equipment than you think!

BB
I don't think Pablo meant academic research, but research as in "finding out".

That is it, "to find out"

Many thanks for all the replies. I'll have a look of your references on Amazon. Anyway, if anybody needs a hand just let me know this summer, I will be glad. The training starts in January.

Many thanks for all the replies. I'll have a look of your references on Amazon. Anyway, if anybody needs a hand just let me know this summer, I will be glad. The training starts in January.

Pablo you will find out very soon that bee keepers in N. Ireland are very secretive people.

Busy Bee

Back