Newbie - how much and what to do with it??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesleybees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 + 4 nucs
Hi guys,

im trying to get my foot in the door and in the mean time, im trying to learn as much as possible. anyway I have a coupke of questions please

1. can someone please tell me how much honey a typical/average hive will produce in a year taking into account that some will be left in the hive to over winter bee's

2. I obviously like honey and so do a few friends and family but what do you guys do with the reaminder of the honey you have left. Do you sell it etc if so where??

thanx guys in advance

If starting with a nuc this year then unlikely to get much. A full colony could generate anything between 10-100+ lbs per season depending upon strain, stength, forage, weather and your priorities. Personally I got 30lbs last year from a split colony.

Normally sold at the gate or via local outlets such as post offices, garages, farm shops, butchers, grocers, shows etc etc. Prices for standard honey (ie not heather or cut comb) seem to be between £3-£6 judging on what others have posted

And until you are producing 200lbs + a year, you will have no difficulty shifting it to friends, family and work colleagues.

I brought a Nuc from hivemaker and took 15 jars of honey at the end of the season but also had to do AS as they did so well they made Qc's.

Now i have two hives... hope for loadsa honey this year :smilielol5:

Latest posts

Back