Newbie here - is there not a newbie section??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesleybees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 + 4 nucs
Hi guys,

just joined the forum as I been wanting for a few years now to keep some bee's. I have a friend who has some land and is willing to let me put a hive or 2 on there.

Anyway, been trying to read as much as I can but I was hoping there would be somekind of 'newbie' section on here but i cant seem to find it, am i looking in the wrong place??

so ive got the land, just no hive or bee's. I would love to hook up with someone that keeps bee's and watch and learn from them so if there is anyone from the widnes/warrington area thats willing to teach me, i would be really greatful. i can travel if need be.

so guys what do you think i should do?? i woul really like to get started this year so how can i improve my chances and when would you say the cut off point is for setting up a hive this year and being able to get some honey from it??

your advice is much appreciated

You will get better info on whatever threads are here than on a newbie one. Your best bet is get reading and the best in my view is Ted Hoopers "Guide to Bees and Honey" cheapest from Amazon. Next, join the local Beekeeping Association and attend apiary visits which should be starting April or May. There you find more mentoring than anywhere. Then get bees quickly before season is too long in the tooth.

I am a newbie (well, started last August) and have learnt so much from the experts on here which I could probably not have learned from a newbie only forum. I also found the video from paul Metcalf useful and would endorse the message you join a BKA. If you are worried that the costs are building up - I think the BKA is crucial to you saving money. They may have negotiated discounts with suppliers, or senior members may have equipment and bees to pass on at reasonable cost. Putting your name down for a swarm is an economical route to your first colony.
Tricia

Just coming to the end of my first year of keeping bees. I did the reading recommended. Attended a beginners course with my local BKA and have used this forum extensively.

The mix is great. They senior advisors on here are much more open to changes in modern beekeeping than some of the traditionalists at the BKA. The mix of local knowledge and more up to date learning is a very good one.

Best to get local bees from the BKA but I know that most are struggling to keep up with demand for nucs from newbies.

Welcome to the forum and good luck at the start of your beekeeping journey.

Just coming to the end of my first year of keeping bees. I did the reading recommended. Attended a beginners course with my local BKA and have used this forum extensively.

The mix is great. They senior advisors on here are much more open to changes in modern beekeeping than some of the traditionalists at the BKA. The mix of local knowledge and more up to date learning is a very good one.

Best to get local bees from the BKA but I know that most are struggling to keep up with demand for nucs from newbies.

Welcome to the forum and good luck at the start of your beekeeping journey.

I'm wondering just how many there are on the BBKA site.

I'm a newbe and finding the differing opinions on various issues a fantastic insight into what is obviously a diverse field.There is never a correct way to do anything,and various insights into each and every issue.

Welcome to the forum.

There was an interesting debate here on whether to have a senior section as opposed to a newbie one..lol, and the consensus is to carry merrily on.

Ask. Please do ask.

"The only stupid question is the unasked one" essentially is the ethos on here.

PH

phillisb,

There is never a correct way to do anything

Oh yes there is! There are often several ways to get the the same end point.

Regards, RAB

I agree.

The correct way is to get there without bothering the bees unduly.

:)

PH

Hi Beesleybees,
I am also a recent new bee, I have found no need to look for a newbee section, the experts on this site are first class and not at all condescending to us start ups although some have a great sense of humour.
Having done a course locally and joined the Bee Keeping Association reading these threads has enormous value.
You will find that once you make a few posts some other local new bees will make contact with a view to comparing notes.
John

I was a newbee last year - and all I would have learnt last year on a newbie section would have been what every newbie was worried about - rather than what an expert would do about it!

Use common phrases on the search section, and if in doubt pick a seasoned keeper you admire and email - most will respond kindly- If truly desparate PM me...and I'll look it up!!!! GOOD LUCK

Latest posts

Back