Newbie help with answers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsdoc

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
1. I have a house on a council estate and a fenced in garden
2. i have a cat
3. i don't want to spend massive amounts of money
4. i dont want to upset the neighbours

Can any advise sorry i don't really no much an maybe if possibl looking to get bee's

2. i have a cat
3. i don't want to spend massive amounts of money
4. i dont want to upset the neighbours

Can any advise sorry i don't really no much an maybe if possibl looking to get bee's

Welcome to the forum.

:iagree: with Region 2 and there are a few IoW bee keepers on here pm them.

1. Mixed views on garden bee keeping, the bees not necessarily being the
'problem' usually it's peoples reactions.
2. There's a cat that regularly sits in front of one of my garden colonies
watching the bees come and go, no problems thus far but........
3. Once bitten by the bee keeping bug I don't think it's possible not to spend
massive amounts?;)
4. Refer to 1, but the odd jar of honey usually wins them round.

Russ

I spent £380 on two commercial hives without bees. I think my nuc cost £120. I aquired another nuc of bees for my second hive from a very kind and helpful member on here (Tonybloke) but so farm that is £500. Then there is the hive tools, spokers, porter bee escapes, treatments, bee suit that I needed adding over another £100.

On top of that, this winter I will be buying another two empty hives because my bees in spring WILL want to swarm and need a new home, but first before they can be put in a hive, they will need a nuc, although these can be easily made.

Spending huge amounts of money is kind of unavoidable.

welcome

main problem will be the backwood thinking local authority, best talk to local association and perhaps get permission to put a hive on farm land...usual rent a couple of jars of honey per hive

and go on a bee-keeping course and ljoin your BKA to get the support of your local beekeepers

1. I keep mine in the garden and have found out that their mood does vary. If they went mega aggressive they woudl have to be moved pretty quick. But it is great because you can observe frequently
2.I have a dog who has only got stung once. He is more cautious now !
3. There are few better ways of spendoing muge amounst of money. However, last year (2) I got £300 back in honey sales
4. Hmmmm !

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Definetly!! I was a complete novice without bees this time last year, ( I joined forum and association same time)

Book a begineers course, not too expensive. You will get some hands on and a feel for if it is for you.

IWBKA has a newly developed training apiary and lots of friendly people willing to help. You do not need to become a full member till you have bees and even then not if you so decide.
The social side is fun too!!

Not convinced about bees in a garden - depends on size, location, neighbours, public access/footpaths etc, etc, etc...

Good Luck.:seeya:

I had mine in my garden, on the shed roof. neighbours were interested but not to worried. Few jars of honey seem to do the trick. Now have aquired two out apiary's so no bees at home. Had a complaint the other day from my neighbour about moving the bees away. May bring a hive home when I need to cary out swarm control in the spring.:cool:

ikeep about 8-10 hives on my garage roof got neighbours who are tolerant of them took about a month to win them round warned them first i was getting bees and was able to allay any fears about them because i had the answers to all there questions (bit of bluffing now and again) had a coulpe of problems one went a bit feisty when it requeened itself had to move it fast and a couple of swarms took off with me in hot pursuit over garden fences till they settled but the neighbours cant wait for the honey when its ready

That must be some garage, only ever kept 1 or 2 on my workshop roof. :cool:

Check, and double check, your tenancy agreement and if in doubt ask your housing office, to be sure. If they say it's okay, get it in writing.

They might say you can keep bees if you are 'experienced', which would mean taking the basic course and passing the assessment - which you can only take after keeping bees for at least a year.

Latest posts

Back