Newbie from Norfolk

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSER

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello everyone - Im interested in beekeeping from my garden (in a small Norfolk town) which is 400 ft long x 45 ft wide, surrounded by high hedge/trees, is SW facing and has a pond and ditches. Would this be a suitable situation AND as we have neighbours, does anyone have problems with complaints re bees please? (One of the neighbours is a nature hating neighbour from hell who moved in a few years back only to make a profit on the empty property and the beautiful wooded garden that was there is now literally a football pitch :()

Also, there seems to be so many conflicting ideas over the best sort of hives. I have to say Im quite interested in the top bar beekeeping method Ive been reading about on the net as it does seem a much simpler and more natural way of caring for the bees. Im not over bothered about producing lots of honey. I am keen to increase the honey bee population though as the world so needs more bees.

I have seen classes at an agricultural college starting in May one evening a week for 10 weeks - would this be the best way to start learning about the subject?

Hello everyone - Im interested in beekeeping from my garden (in a small Norfolk town) which is 400 ft long x 45 ft wide, surrounded by high hedge/trees, i

I have seen classes at an agricultural college starting in May one evening a week for 10 weeks - would this be the best way to start learning about the subject?

welcome::nature-smiley-016:

1) yes should be ok, for bees, keep them as far as you can from neighbours, preferable as your is sw, in some afternoon shade..back of hive to worst neighbour

2) Bet the course is full, recent publicity in bees problems means lots of interest...our 2011 course is already full

bad neighbour: yep, get insured at least, join your bka, try to get on any course but 10 weeks seem fine, read something like Bees in the bottom of garden by Alan Campion then get a more scientific book , and ask question on this forum

small norfolk town, ok, but oil seed rape honey has its diffuclties

Last edited:
OSR honey also has it's fans as my guests attest to pretty much every morning as they bend spoons on my solid comb honey and then enthuse about it, and more to the point buy it!

Welcome to the forum and yes your suggested course should be good.

I am not that keen on having bees in gardens as it CAN go very wrong. It can of course also go very well.

As for hive types, sadly in the UK there are way too many types and they all have their advocates.

Frankly poly is best.....LOL Far warmer than timber.

Just being provocative. :)

PH

Thanks people. I am surprised how so many people seem to have hives other than on their own land.

Not long ago I would have said most do, maybe not so not but the sensible option is not to have them in the garden. Safer.

As this season rolls on I anticipate woeful tales.

PH

hello from another beekeeper in norfolk, with hives in the back garden :seeya:

definately book NOW to get on the course @ Easton, and join the norfolk beekeepers.
there is a demonstration day on next saturday, at buxton heath, it'll be a good chance to see how you are with bees?
if you want to come to the demo, send me a pm. (I have spare kit for you to wear) ;) :)

Hi MSER . I can see Norfolk from my house but live over the border in Suffolk!

400 ft sounds quite long enough to find somewhere good for your bees. Sign up for the course and go for it.
Cazza:seeya:

Many thanks people (and for the very kind invite Tony). Am slightly concerned now over the "tales of woe" scenario for those with hives in their gardens. :leaving:

I am about 8 miles south of Norwich - I have been told of someone with a hive in their garden the other side of this small town and am hoping to go and see him and ask the pros and cons.

Ideally Id like someone who wanted a space to put their hive in my garden so that I could see how it works out but I guess thats unlikely. I dont want to kill the poor things either.

Im going to digest all the info you have kindly given me.

"tales of woe" scenario

I would recommend having an alternative site available which is relatively safe, to where any 'feisty' bees can be transported quickly and easily. Needs to be some way away from the garden (3 foot, 3 mile rule).

Docile bees can become bad tempered with just a supercedure, or even weather or nectar-flow changes for examples.

Regards, RAB

Ideally Id like someone who wanted a space to put their hive in my garden so that I could see how it works out but I guess thats unlikely. I dont want to kill the poor things either.

there's quite a few beekeepers just south of the city, the demo next week would be a good place to meet some of them, you might find someone who would be 'up for' putting a hive in your garden ;)

So kind of you Tony. Will speak to husband about it.

Thanks for everyones very kind input.

3 ft 3 mile rule, must look that up :)

AH:

If you want to move the hive you can move it up to three feet and they can find it, but if you need to move it further it must be over three miles or they will just return to their original site.

Last edited:
Hi, well I think Ive fallen at the first hurdle guys, sorry.:redface:

Visited a local beekeeper yesterday. Out of 3 hives only one made it through the winter and the bees were very active when we were there - however he has pointed out potential problems with things like our dogs and the neighbours dogs and the amount of intricate work involved.

Got some lovely honey from him, but drove home deep in thought guys.

Fact 1

Dogs will stay the hell away from a hive once stung by a bee. My pretty much fearless Pointer/Lab will put his head in all kind of places that mean he will get hurt but will avoid father in laws hive like the plague. One sting thats all he took.

MSER,
If your apiary site is fenced off from the dog(s) you should be OK. Try the day as Tonybloke suggests! Both Tony and I attended the course at Easton College (at different times).

(I have hives in my front garden and use the yard at work as an out apiary on occasions, no problems).

I have a sense from your last post that something has put you off??

Adam

Guys?

Fencing may well keep dogs from front of hive but bee stings can and does kill dogs. Bees do not respect fencing.

Bees in gardens are all lovely UNTIL (and it will) it goes pear shaped.

Be warned.

PH

Thanks everyone. Have been told there are places left at the college. Will spend a bit more time researching on here.

Poly, sorry, I use guys in the generic way meaning people - it comes from being on so many forums re my other hobby. :)

Last edited:
Hi Mser and a warm welcome to you.

I was new here about a month ago and post after post I have read 'hi i'm new'
It's a great place to start.

My bees arrive at the end of the month as I have ordered a couple of nucs.

I'm going to put the bees in my garden to start with. Like you, i would like to observe them and see what they are doing. Should things go wrong, I do have a back up place but this is some distant from home. i would be really disappointed if I had to move the bees because of complaints of neighbours. If they do turn bad, I would try and re queen first before I removed the hives.

For me, if the garden does not work out, i will probably give up.

ps

Stick your name at the end of your post. Not a requirement but nice to know you!

Cliff

I think it depends on the neighbours and the barriers around the garden. I have the potential for a site in London (scary...), but the garden is surrounded by a high wall, so the chance of someone blundering in is low - also the bees are pushed up by the wall, so they won't fly straight into people.

The problem will be the odd grumpy manipulation. One of my colonies last year got the hump (we think they don't like tractors), and whenever we opened them, there were bees everywhere - not good if there are people in the area. I think the neighbours in London are co-operative (they will be pleased to see bees) and I can probably manipulate when they are out. It would be very hard (almost impossible) if the neighbours were not co-operative and were determined to be annoyed.

I'm actually more worried about the local garden centre - a few streets away. It is always rammed with stuff in flower, whatever the season and will be inundated with thousands of bees.....

Latest posts

Back