NewBee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JellyBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello
I've got my first hive and nuc at the end of July and so far they seem to be doing well, there's lots of new brood (started with 5 frames and now 2 more are filling up) I've also been feeding them sugar syrup as advised. Should I now just leave them as they are with the brood box to fill up or should I add a super on top of the brood box (with queen excluder between)?

Thanks for any advice and look forward to learning more.

I do attend my local BeeKeeping Association as and when I can for practical experience but it's always useful to have more advice

Depends whether you want to overwinter with them in a brood box, or with them with 'brood and a half', ie. a brood box and a super.

Hi, I'm not after honey for me, I just wanted to make sure the bees had enough for over-wintering, the queen excluder was just to make sure no eggs were laid in there

Hi Jellybee. We have ours on brood and a half, you only need the queen excluder if you plan on using the honey yourself.

okey dokey, thank you - will add the super with no excluder and see how it goes

Are all the frames in the brood box drawn into comb..or just seven? if just seven then leave them until they have drawn out the entire brood box into comb.

Yes I'd leave them with just a brood box if all the frames aren't yet drawn.
You might find that at this time of the year you'll just make a full box by the time it comes to shutting them up for winter

Hello
I've got my first hive and nuc at the end of July and so far they seem to be doing well, there's lots of new brood (started with 5 frames and now 2 more are filling up) I've also been feeding them sugar syrup as advised. Should I now just leave them as they are with the brood box to fill up or should I add a super on top of the brood box (with queen excluder between)?

Thanks for any advice and look forward to learning more.

I do attend my local BeeKeeping Association as and when I can for practical experience but it's always useful to have more advice

this year, single brood box, with 5+2 now then brood and a half will be too cold over winter, so keep them warm in one brood box, next year go fro brood and ahalf or 14x12 ( ie brood + eke + 14x12 frames]o

Latest posts

Back