Newbee in Invernesshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuffin

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We got our first nucleus end of July and all has mainly gone well. We have been feeding syrup to boost them and suddenly about ten days ago the brood box seemed very busy and the syrup going down very fast. Then on Monday we noticed the bees were starting to make wax cells on the side of the syrup feeder. We decided they were running out of space but because we had not expected to put on a super this summer we were not prepared. We only had 5 frames made up so we put these in the super and put on the queen excluder. we then managed to find some more and made them up and went to add them today but found the some of the 5 we had put in on Monday had collapsed. No instructions on the making up of the frames and we had not made the frames correctly. Now the bees have a full brood box and a full set of frames in the super though a couple are a bit wonky. We are in an area of wonderful heather in Scotland but I wonder if we really should have put on the super at this stage of the year, especially with the weather so poor. I have to say that our lovely bees have been charming throughout this early learning process, we hardly have to smoke them and they have taken it all in their stride. Any comments or helpful hints would be gratefully received. If the bees make any honey in the super can we gather it and feed it back to them as I doubt there will be enough for us to harvest at this stage of the year.

Welcome to the forum Tuffin. You have a very good local Association based in Inverness by the way.

There is also a good forum run by the SBA on which people who are more local to you post as the majority on here are south of the border though of course not all, and therefore do not have the local knowledge.

I did most of my beekeeping in Aberdeenshire so have a fair idea of your conditions.

Can you give some more info as per the good Dr's post above?

PH

what do you mean by collapsed? frames (nailed i presume) or the wax falling out?

http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/frameassy.html

what does the brood box look like contents wise? stuffed full of stores? you have been feeding according to need rather than blindly? how much brood is present?
Re the frames we had not taken off the extra bit of wood and nailed it to secure he whole lots. Thats been sorted. I am not sure the current situation with the brood box. Last time we looked there seemed to be plenty of larvae and eggs and capped cells as well as honey and pollen. All the brood box frames were drawn except one side on one end and both sides on the last frame the other end. I was going to look today but its been a lovely warm afternoon with some sunshine and they were so busy I didn't like to disturb them after yesterdays performance. We fed them because we were told to, and then more often as they started to go through it.

Welcome to the forum Tuffin. You have a very good local Association based in Inverness by the way.

There is also a good forum run by the SBA on which people who are more local to you post as the majority on here are south of the border though of course not all, and therefore do not have the local knowledge.

I did most of my beekeeping in Aberdeenshire so have a fair idea of your conditions.

Can you give some more info as per the good Dr's post above?

PH
Tried to look for local forums but very little action on them so came back here. There is a group in Dingwall but its a bit far and we can't do the one night of the week. I can't find any details about one in Inverness- do you mean the Dingwall one?

There is a very active BKA in Nairn and I am sure that you would be made welcome. Although I am a newcomer to the forum myself (and to beekeeping), can I add my wecome to all the others. I hope that you find the forum as useful and informative as I have. If you are looking for details of Nairn BKA please PM and I can forward them. Best wishes!

Hey Tuffin,
The main thing is to get them strong for the winter. As this is their first year I would keep feeding until they stop taking it. They will be foraging as well. Make sure the feed is now 2 x1 (Sugar to water). As the weather gets colder remove the QE and leave them for the winter.
As far as the frames go try making up part frames so that you don't get caught out. Ie put the sidebars on and the bottom rail that is opposite the bit of wood you don;t take off, then when you come to need frames in a hurry all you have to do is take off the waggly bit of wood, add the wax, put he waggly bit of wood back on and add the remaining bottom rail! With the wax make sure that the looped ends of the wire go under the waggly bit of wood. Nail the side bars onto the top rail through the side, nail the bottom rails from the bottom (Not the side) as then they are easier to take apart when you need to replace the foundation. Always try and get the wax flat. If it is slightly bowed then cut a mm off the edge so that it lays flat.
Big learning curve eh?
Watch this forum and always ask if you don't know. Best of luck
E

Inverness beekeepers meet at balloch school of forestry. If you pm me I'll give you secretary' (Stella) details.

Glad to hear they are still alive and well... wondered if my talk years ago had been the does of petrol...lol

PH

Re the frames we had not taken off the extra bit of wood and nailed it to secure he whole lots. Thats been sorted. I am not sure the current situation with the brood box. Last time we looked there seemed to be plenty of larvae and eggs and capped cells as well as honey and pollen. All the brood box frames were drawn except one side on one end and both sides on the last frame the other end. I was going to look today but its been a lovely warm afternoon with some sunshine and they were so busy I didn't like to disturb them after yesterdays performance. We fed them because we were told to, and then more often as they started to go through it.

tuffin a sunny day is usually the best time to inspect them because they bees are uaually too busy to notice you, welcome and good luck with the bees

chris

Latest posts

Back