New swarm!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iff the queen cant be found . would it get rid of her if you threw all the bees in some grass then put the brood box back and let the flyers come home?????

On the frame with the largest single Q cell there appears to be some capped worker brood, if so then the Q cell probably contains a female larva. Maybe destroy other apparent Q cells and see what happens.

On the frame with the largest single Q cell there appears to be some capped worker brood, if so then the Q cell probably contains a female larva. Maybe destroy other apparent Q cells and see what happens.

I was in the same situation and what emerged from my capped worker brood was a mini drone. Asked the bee inspector for an answer and he confirmed it was a worker sized drone. One can tell by the blunt abdomen and large eyes. Sorry.

Mickby is thinking. What is a few days wait? Still need to find the queen and remove. You do not want a hive full of drones. Even harder to find her then.

Maybe your friend might have a better chance of finding her? ICH's method? Even Mandy's?

Was this a swarm from your friend's hive? If so he/she will likely know if she could negotiate a queen excluder?

Forget all the sidetracks. The queen is useless and needs removing.

If I was you and I was getting confused with all that is being said from all the different sources, then I would listen and take advice from the old grump and I don’t then think you would go to wrong. Good luck.:seeya:

Im guessing a very contented fat drone :)

The ones I had last year - never mated cast queen (and proved impossible to find for three beekeepers...) were two to a king cell. And no I didn't hang around to see if they hatched...

Latest posts

Back