new swarm cells or supersedure?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beet63

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I artificially swarmed two colonies two weeks ago - found the queen in both cases, so I'm she was definitely put back into the original colonies. Two weeks on, the daughter colonies have both raised new queen cells, but so have both the parental colonies containing the original queens. She's still there as I've found eggs in both colonies, so they're both laying OK. Why are there new queen cells so soon in the parental colonies that both seem to have laying queens. Will they supersede or are they thinking of going again so soon after being swarmed?

I artificially swarmed two colonies two weeks ago - found the queen in both cases, so I'm she was definitely put back into the original colonies. Two weeks on, the daughter colonies have both raised new queen cells, but so have both the parental colonies containing the original queens. She's still there as I've found eggs in both colonies, so they're both laying OK. Why are there new queen cells so soon in the parental colonies that both seem to have laying queens. Will they supersede or are they thinking of going again so soon after being swarmed?

what is the condition inside the old queen hive

ie have they drawn out all the foundation
what is in the frames ie how much brood how much capped, how much liquid, what is the area around the area the eggs are in

i found this happened to me when i placed some ready drawn out come into the hive where the queen was put and also if i set two frames with brood and eggs into the hive where the queen was placed instead of just the one.
Darren

They were on new foundation, most of which has now been drawn, but there's only new brood on one additional frame

Back