New super above or below existing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am sure the answer is already here and has been asked many times! If adding another super (foundation only) should i put above or below the existing filled super(s)?

I am sure the answer is already here and has been asked many times! If adding another super (foundation only) should i put above or below the existing filled super(s)?

Below. That is the order in beehive.

below- I agree with the others. It also makes it easier to clear the full super in due course if it is at the top of the stack.

Yes, the answer is here on the forum. But perhaps removing four supers to add one more, might be hard work at times. But if inspecting every week, it really doesn't make any difference, does it? I prefer under for the above reasons.

Always dropped then straight on top.

Avoids things getting top heavy!

Sorry, just my engineering background interfering with convention!

Actually I would say the convention is above but that is how I was taught.

PH

Actually I would say the convention is above but that is how I was taught.

PH

:iagree:
If all other supers are full and capped then perhaps under but would I put a box of foundation under supers that are not yet capped? Not a chance, it compromises the rest.

If all other supers are full and capped then perhaps under but would I put a box of foundation under supers that are not yet capped? Not a chance, it compromises the rest.

What does it compromise? I've put them on the top but not truely understood why? Just what I was told to do and guessing it's to do with air/ heat amount of nectar?

So here's a scenario then, my queen only likes to lay in the bottom, I have a second Brood box currently being filled with honey, soon it will be full and capped. In the sense of getting another brood / super box going I would agree it would be best to place under the honey stores however my honey stores are in a brood box! So do I buy a super box and put it ON TOP or buy another brood box (then there will be three) to place UNDER the brood box I currently have which is getting full of honey :hairpull:

So here's a scenario then, my queen only likes to lay in the bottom, I have a second Brood box currently being filled with honey, soon it will be full and capped. In the sense of getting another brood / super box going I would agree it would be best to place under the honey stores however my honey stores are in a brood box! So do I buy a super box and put it ON TOP or buy another brood box (then there will be three) to place UNDER the brood box I currently have which is getting full of honey :hairpull:

Just wondering if adding a super of foundation to mix with frames from the existing filled super, ie alternate foundation and sealed honey in the two supers?

The compromise I mentioned is that the bees will put their efforts into drawing the comb and leave uncapped stores. Sometimes you have no choice, if you have no more drawn comb or especially as a beginner, when all you have is foundation. You could mix them as you say, between the existing frames but if this is just the second super I'd put them above.

As for the double brood with honey in the top, swap them around and add supers above your excluder.

Collect honey frames into one box. Then brood frames together. And between those two give foundations or empty combs.

When flow is good, give foundations that you get new combs.

Most important is to give space, where bees store nectar for drying. When nectar is dry, bees lift it up and cap honey in order. In good flow day bees spread nectar everywhere, but they arrange it later.

If you get one capped honey box, you need two boxes for nectar. And then two brood boxes.

If you do not follow conventional advices, you have propably swarm cells in your hive.. Nothing new in this frontier.

Last edited:
the reason convention is Top supering rather than bottom supering is because once the swarming season is over and the honey flow is hopefully in full swing, by placing the empty super on the top you can speedily check to see whether they are
a) in it
b) drawing it out (if foundation)
c) filling it with honey
d) building out drawn comb

This latter indictation and aslso any semi filled brace comb on the top frame indicates additional space is required....not easily seen without taking the stack apart if you bottom super.

However there are many who extract through the year to save time and return empty supers to the colonies so it probably doesn't matter for them

KR

S

PS - if there is strong flow on it really doesn't matter where you put the super as the bees will find it and use it !

the reason convention is Top supering rather than bottom supering is because once the swarming season is over and the honey flow is hopefully in full swing, by placing the empty super on the top you can speedily check to see whether they are
a) in it
b) drawing it out (if foundation)
c) filling it with honey
d) building out drawn comb

This latter indictation and aslso any semi filled brace comb on the top frame indicates additional space is required....not easily seen without taking the stack apart if you bottom super.

However there are many who extract through the year to save time and return empty supers to the colonies so it probably doesn't matter for them

KR

S

PS - if there is strong flow on it really doesn't matter where you put the super as the bees will find it and use it !

How big job it is to lift couple of honey boxes and pit into the right place.

It really matters. That is why guys follow the order even if they have 1000 hives.

Same time you may inspect brood fames what is goinv there.

I have a poly national hive and have only so far bought two brood boxes and frames with foundations , as suggested below I need to get another box with frames to go in between my brood at the bottom and my brood box filled with honey, will a super fit in between the larger brood box or do I need to buy another brood box and frames which will make it 3 story brood hive? Also I'm guessing they will cap the honey stores once moved to the top at some point?

Collect honey frames into one box. Then brood frames together. And between those two give foundations or empty combs.

Swarm (Steve)

Just sat here re reading all replies (thank you!) Steve, can I have the brood Box with the brood in the middle? Ie. Move my honey brood box to the bottom, then have the brood box With the brood in and then a super on top? I've just always had my brood box with brood in at the bottom! If honey stores are at the bottom I'm guessing they won't forget to go back and cap it??!

Many thanks :=

Clemcook,

I think you are missing something. Boxes are extra deep, deep or shallows.

It matters not a jot what they contain - honey or brood.

Brood boxes contain brood and honey boxes (supers) are boxes reserved for honey. The honey boxes - normally shallows ( but may be deeps, and occasionally extra deeps for some of us) are called supers because they are used above the brood area.

Latest posts

Back