New Starter for 2024 (Essex)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M4tttaylor

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Happy New Year Everyone!

It came as a bit of a surprise to me on Xmas morning, when I unwrapped a gift from my wife which ended up being a new National hive kit and basic equipment (i think she wants to get me out of the house)! It's always been something that fascinated me, but never thought I'd have a chance to actually try it myself and now i can't wait to get started!

So now I'm frantically researching as much as possible through this forum mainly and other sites. I've ordered the Haynes Bee Manual which i've seen noted in here a few times and about to sign up with Colchester Beekeepers (includes BBKA membership) in the next few weeks. Hoping to find a beginners course to sign up to in the near future too, unfortunately Colchester Beekeepers are fully subscribed.

We did think we could use our back garden, but after reading the various threads in here we've decided against that as don't think it will be ideal. Now looking for a local out apiary site, which i dont think will be a problem given the open space in the area... also have a couple of allotment options, but need to check them out first and see if suitable.

Now i know i should probably slow down and spend more time researching, training, find a mentor, etc... but i'm quite impatient and really keen to get started! Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated!

Matt

I think it's essential that you contact your local beekeeping association and get on a beginners course. I wouldn't recommend anyone start beekeeping without having done that course first.

Bees are livestock. Imagine you've been given a field for dairy cows.

80% of beekeepers stop beekeeping in their 1st year. You will enjoy keeping bees and will be way more successful if you have completed the course first. Courses are about to start, so find your local association - the BBKA site has a map tool for just that purpose.
Also: your local association is a good place to get bees.

Welcome aboard and good luck.

Last edited:
I think it's essential that you contact your local beekeeping association and get on a beginners course. I wouldn't recommend anyone start beekeeping without having done that course first.

Bees are livestock. Imagine you've been given a field for dairy cows.

80% of beekeepers stop beekeeping in their 1st year. You will enjoy keeping bees and will be way more successful if you have completed the course first. Courses are about to start, so find your local association - the BBKA site has a map tool for just that purpose.
Welcome aboard and good luck.
Hi Paulypaul

Yes thats the plan... but i know i need to be quick. Shame my local association is fully subscribed for training this year but sure i'll find one elsewhere. There is a general meeting with the local association at the end of this month, so hopefully will make some contacts there.

I couldn’t agree more with Murrox, get yourself to the agm meeting with the association it will hopefully open a few doors mentor wise and possibly bees.
Try another local association.
in Shropshire we have two associations and most local ones know each other anyway good luck with your new hobby. 🙂

You have several BBKA local Associations fairly near to Colchester. It may be an idea to look in the BBKA map https://www.bbka.org.uk/find-beekeeping-near-you to seek an alternative. I belong to an Association and although I have to travel about an hour by car each way to meetings, I'm not the most distant member. Your area has a number of possibilities, but what I would suggest is that before joining you try to establish which will be most supportive for you. That influenced my choice, and the friendliness and flexibility shown in helping me makes me feel very lucky to be a member.
The BBKA Introductory Course seems to be a combination of material that Haynes would more than cover and practical sessions. Haynes was recommended for the Intermediate [Follow On] level course when I took that. If you find a decent mentor not only could they give you practical experience before you get your own colony, but would work alongside you once you get a colony - that's what happened to me.
If you have someone selling honey nearby it may be worth trying to ask them for their thoughts.
I wish you well.

Allotments aren't ideal and more so for a green beek with nill experience.
Allotment commitees can be a very queer bunch unless it is a private one with only two or three holders in which case there are likely to be very few rules or even a committee.

Allotment commitees can be a very queer bunch unless it is a private one with only two or three holders in which case there are likely to be very few rules or even a committee.
Totally agree - not easy for an established beek. They also can dream up ill-informed rules and devise creative impediments which if not complied with may look like "constructive eviction". Better a good friend with a large garden, or a friendly smallholder/farmer with a quiet corner away from Joe Public and residences. The strangest advert for a beek was the offer of a quiet corner of a crematorium - there are surprise possibilities.

Hi Paulypaul

Yes thats the plan... but i know i need to be quick. Shame my local association is fully subscribed for training this year but sure i'll find one elsewhere. There is a general meeting with the local association at the end of this month, so hopefully will make some contacts there.
At a local event with an observation hive, a couple asked me if you can keep hives on the balcony of a block of flats. As some beekeepers I know do so I said it was not ideal but could be done. 2nd question why did all the Bees die!!! Without posting the whole conversation, they had recieved the hive full of Bees as a wedding present, never joined their local association and had never done a course!!!!!!!!!!! Asked them to tell the gift giver to give a present of a course in future not a hive of Bees

You have several BBKA local Associations fairly near to Colchester. It may be an idea to look in the BBKA map https://***************/find-beekeeping-near-you to seek an alternative. I belong to an Association and although I have to travel about an hour by car each way to meetings, I'm not the most distant member. Your area has a number of possibilities, but what I would suggest is that before joining you try to establish which will be most supportive for you. That influenced my choice, and the friendliness and flexibility shown in helping me makes me feel very lucky to be a member.
The BBKA Introductory Course seems to be a combination of material that Haynes would more than cover and practical sessions. Haynes was recommended for the Intermediate [Follow On] level course when I took that. If you find a decent mentor not only could they give you practical experience before you get your own colony, but would work alongside you once you get a colony - that's what happened to me.
If you have someone selling honey nearby it may be worth trying to ask them for their thoughts.
I wish you well.
Hi Macbear
Thanks for your message... i didnt realise there were so many associations within an hours drive! I have now found a couple of options nearby who do have spaces for their beginners theory sessions followed by practical sessions, so will get something booked in.
Looks like its spread over a few months though, so may have to wait until next year to start my own colony once i've had the training and practical sessions which is a shame.

Totally agree! We did go and have a look at potential allotment sites, and after meeting the allotment 'owner', we've decided against this!

One of my hives is on my allotment plot, but I am positioned very well due to there is no path behind and the path across the flight path is twenty feet away which no other plot owner uses.
I had to go to the council meeting and ask permission, I had plans of the area ready to present but they were more than happy to allow me two hives in that position if needed.

One of my hives is on my allotment plot, but I am positioned very well due to there is no path behind and the path across the flight path is twenty feet away which no other plot owner uses.
I had to go to the council meeting and ask permission, I had plans of the area ready to present but they were more than happy to allow me two hives in that position if needed.
You will likely be ok unitl someone is stung or a swarm causes a nusiance, if someone is stung even if not by your bees they will likely put 2+2 together and not get the right answer.

You will likely be ok unitl someone is stung or a swarm causes a nusiance, if someone is stung even if not by your bees they will likely put 2+2 together and not get the right answer.
Bit of a 'glass half empty ' there,, It's a good community and I'm fully supported by it, only time will tell but I am sure all will be okay as I'm a belts and braces kinda person.

Bit of a 'glass half empty ' there,, It's a good community and I'm fully supported by it, only time will tell but I am sure all will be okay as I'm a belts and braces kinda person.
No, I think not. There have been plenty of problems identified on here over the years where people have experienced problems with having bees on allotments. Just friendly notes of caution from people who have been there and got the T-shirt. Whilst they may seem to be a friendly, supportive, community at present things can change and councils tend to over react if there are any complaints. You would be well advised to have a back up site somewhere in the event that your tenancy becomes untenable for any reason.

No, I think not. There have been plenty of problems identified on here over the years where people have experienced problems with having bees on allotments. Just friendly notes of caution from people who have been there and got the T-shirt. Whilst they may seem to be a friendly, supportive, community at present things can change and councils tend to over react if there are any complaints. You would be well advised to have a back up site somewhere in the event that your tenancy becomes untenable for any reason.
I do. At home, at my vicars garden,(where my second colony is) at a friends garden and hopefully an out apiary that needs a lot of brush clearing.

Kept bees on allotment with written permission from council for 10 years. No problems. Then we get a new town clerk and bees and any other livestock had to go. No appeal.

Back