new site

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blodwen

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have the option of moving a hive to a new site about a mile away. The owner of the site is keen to have some working bees asap for his fruit orchard (despite my reassurance that my current hives will be travelling there already).
My current thoughts are to wait for signs of one of my hives producing queen cells, then do an AS and take the brood & nurse bees to the new site.
Assuming I can find my (unmarked) queen in order to do the AS, is this a feasible plan?

For pollination purposes you need lots and lots of bees - lots of bees...

Oh, and get organised - now.

Having a single hive a mile away will be a pain. My suggestion would be to either move both (all?) your hives to the new location or leave them where they are and only move hives to the new place if and when you need a second apairy.

Unless of course the orchard owner is going to pay you to take the bees for pollination. £20 per week per hive the flowers are blooming would not be too much to ask.

Your bees may pollinate his trees quite well from where they are!
But you don't have to tell him that!

If you want an out-apiary, (even if it is a bit too close), and he can offer a good secure year-round site, then make increase this summer and shift some colonies to the orchard during next winter.

Because he's so close, you can't shift at short notice. Worth explaining "3 feet or 3 miles" to him, so he doesn't get offended.

I doubt that an AS now would provide very many flying bees for him in the very short-term future (my apple trees in the garden are starting to blossom now). Other than showing willing, I'm not sure it would achieve much.

Back