New Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put in a test comb, if they make emergency queen cells either introduce a new queen or unite them, after destroying all the emergency cells.
I've a similar situation with I think a Q- hive so I have put in a test frame to see what happens. I too noticed the brood frames are full of honey (& syrup from my over feeding) and pollen. Should I replace some with new foundation so a new Q has space to lay... which at best will be mid September?

Hi
Update on queenless hive, i united both hives sprayed the uniting frame with a little pastis.Alls looking well from the outside no fighting.

Hi Castenea,

Do you have a French mentor? I would never have thought of spaying Pastis lol! I'll have to raid my husband's supply

I may be uniting my two hives in the next couple of months, if i can find the queen in the smaller of the two colonies.

Hi
Update on queenless hive, i united both hives sprayed the uniting frame with a little pastis.Alls looking well from the outside no fighting.

It's gonna work but given how bees HATE alcohol it seems a bit harsh. My tried and tested "uniting fluid" is 1:1 sugar syrup, thymolated to about Manley 3 and with a drop of lemongrass oil. Gets them too sticky to fight...

Here in the south of France Pastis is the national drink. When you go to someone's house never do you get a cuppa always Pastis. I only put a smidgen even at that I didn't feel at ease , it was the man who breeds the queens who told me what to do. So far there hasn't been any fighting at the hive or drunk bees on the floor!!

Latest posts

Back