New queen advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbot ale

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I had a queenless hive so purchased a mated queen she has been accepted into the hive but there isn't any brood frames being drawn and no activity around entrance ie no foraging. The queen is moving around the frames. How do I get things going?

Add a frame of brood and eggs from the other hive. Do they have stores to draw wax? If not then feed a little
E
E

The other hive didnt make it through the winter so its all I have. I did try feeding but they didnt touch it

Are there any drawn frames in the hive for the queen to lay in? Are there enough bees to look after brood? Are there any stores? You may have to dribble some syrup into the brood box to help them find feed.
Sorry but a bit short on details!
E

Only frames have either pollen or honey in I have some drawn frames spare could I use them if so the bees are only on three frames so where should i place it. Guess about 3 hundred bees in total

a colony with only 300 bees left sounds like a doomed colony to me - bees are probably too old to make wax, and too few to raise the temperature high enough to make wax anyway.
As HM - even if you put them in a Kieler or apidea, they would die of old age before the first brood emerged.

Order a package without a Queen?
If I could get one now I would try?

Nobody I know has any packages for sale .. a few Nucs about but quite expensive compared to some years .... sign of the spring losses being reported.

I agree with JBM .. 300 bees are almost a lost cause .. might survive with TLC in an apidea but even that's not guaranteed.

I had a queenless hive so purchased a mated queen she has been accepted into the hive but there isn't any brood frames being drawn and no activity around entrance ie no foraging. The queen is moving around the frames. How do I get things going?

Agree colony doomed without urgent addition of more bees and brood. Are you a member of your local association - I'm sure some kind member would give you a couple of frames of brood and bees. If so it might be best to cage your new queen for a day or so in case the donated bees kill her. Feed++.

Latest posts

Back