New & Old & a gift horse

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Right, a couple of years ago, I built a topbox hive, baited & no interest shown. Life moved on & after an illness I resolved to get back to the interest. I picked up a Langstroth Poly hive from Park at Blackheath about a month ago, and waited, and waited. Eqipment at the ready

OK, it looked like I needed to buy a swarm.
Right on the point of purchasing, one of the neighbours said that they had bees in an old speaker box next to their garden shed !!!

Looking as professional as I could, I removed all of the panels and discovered some strange formation of what looks like a lump of expanding foam about 4" diameter with some bees in it.

Now I know that I am a complete novice, but did my best here.
Removed the whole thing carefully into a box & transported it & placed them into the new hive, (first removing half of the frames to fit the lumpy speaker padding). There were only about a dozen bees in total that were moved, but now there appear to be a few more.

I understand that the frames will probably have to be moved and new ones fitted as it grows, but each week I plan on removing that little bit more of the original padding until there is not really anything left

My main question is what are the chances of the colony surviving as every other one I have seen has been loads of bees & I have only seen about a dozen bees (& just hope I have got the queen). The bees are using the hive entrance at the moment.

My next question is... What next ? Do I leave the whole thing alone & wait ?

That's what I'm thinking but I didn't want to jump to conclusions.

You also need to go on a beekeeping course, as you have bumble bees you should really know what honey bees at least look like.

Damn, Thought it was too good to be true & just looked on google images at bumble bee nests.
I will have to take the whole thing out & put it safely in a corner of the garden, but will there be an adverse residue on the new hive when I remove it

Better if you return it to the original site, there will be a number of foraging bumbles wondering where their nest went.
There will be no problem with residue or scent left in your hive.
I agree that a course or a mentor are essential before you jump in at the deep end.

I really dont want to sound as though I am having a go but, keeping bees isnt as simple as just getting them. You need at least to read a good few books and do a course, bees can turn quite nasty at times, and can be a real hand full. They can also be nice and calm. You need to be prepared for both and have an understanding of why. Along with the life cycle and needs of the bees you will then be more prepared.

Damn, Thought it was too good to be true & just looked on google images at bumble bee nests.
I will have to take the whole thing out & put it safely in a corner of the garden, but will there be an adverse residue on the new hive when I remove it

Need to adjust your profile to -1 ! Lots of us on here are quietly laughing but I have a friend (no ... not me !) who actually tried to cut out a wasps nest thinking they were bees - fortunately he had a bee suit on. The wasps were in his shed roof and followed him across his garden and he took refuge in his greenhouse; the wasps kept him in there for over an hour before they gave up !! It rather put him off beekeeping forever - at least you have learnt something !! Laugh with us and hit the books - you'll get there.

have a look on you tube, there a lot of beekeeping video's on there for you to get some idea on, but don't take everything as gospel on there, get someone close to you who has bees to let you see there hive when its open, and then go to a beekeeping club and see what goes on all the best in beekeeping

Hmm. I tell all potential newbees these days to A: get along to an apiary meeting and make sure they are ok with bees And B: Get on a course and start learning. There is a lot you must know before having bees and even more that you could know.

I agree with the "laugh it off and try again". Anyone can make a mistake, this one made me smile because the photo you took is really beautiful (just look at 'em! Aww!).

But on a serious note, please please do some learning! Keeping a cat or a dog as a pet is generally relatively easy, but bees are just not the same unless you just want them in your garden for a while (it may turn out to be a short while). Glad to see that you took good care with the bumbly nest, but being careful is not all that you will need.

Join the learning curve!

Kind regards,

Ana

Last edited:
:sorry: and :thanks:

Guys, Many thanks for not being too demeaning about this.
Beginners enthusiasm aside, I attended an short introductory course a few years ago, and I agree, I need some serious guidance and tutoring in basic principles.
Back to the drawing board for me before I get hold of a swarm to occupy the hive.

On a good note, the bumbles have been moved and are quite at home under an extra large split clay pot on one side of the garden.

And you experienced guys can look on the thread as entertainment value ( I also hope to look back the same way in a few years).

Next step for me is to look into the local Norfff Kent societies.

I'm glad you havent been put off by my and others comments and I am glad you are going to wait until you have a bit more information before starting, I for one wish you well and look forward to hearing from you when you do get the bees.

JonBee

Don't be disheartened by this. I am in my third season, been on the courses and know so little. An expert beekeeper came round the other night to collect bees for the club for apideas as they were short, and as he collected the bees I learned more off him that evening that I have for some time.

I say many times to people, keeping bees is harder than bringing up children, and I have four and one is in her twenties.

Do go on a course and do try and experience going into a bee hive. It is a very special experience, but also can be quite scary. It is very different form a bumble bee colony.

Good luck

I'm glad you havent been put off by my and others comments and I am glad you are going to wait until you have a bit more information before starting, I for one wish you well and look forward to hearing from you when you do get the bees.

:iagree::yeahthat::yeahthat: Keep the faith, you'll get there and look back on this episode and probably dine out on it ! There, but for the grace of God, go I ?

I'm glad the bumbles are happy in their new home. You did well to move them intact.

If you're looking for a good book you could try the Haynes Manual. There's probably a copy in your local library you could look at before spending out on it.

Latest posts

Back