New Nuc not performing well

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Kevans

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
I recently did a hive split after half my colony swarmed . I took advice and split the hive and made a new nuc, with what I thought was an active queen cell within. There seems to be limited activity in my new nuc. I think there may be no queen present. If this is the case can I recombine the existing nuc frames with the main colony, which seems a lot more active?

Yes but you will need newspaper or air freshener

I recently did a hive split after half my colony swarmed . I took advice and split the hive and made a new nuc, with what I thought was an active queen cell within. There seems to be limited activity in my new nuc. I think there may be no queen present. If this is the case can I recombine the existing nuc frames with the main colony, which seems a lot more active?
Hi Will,
There was another thread about this I think? I made a suggestion there that you should have a look in the nuc to see what is going on. One problem with combining could be if laying workers have taken hold in the nuc.

Do you mean limited activity at the entrance to the nuc?- if so this is normal as the original foragers will have returned to the site of the original colony. Some of the younger bees then become foragers but this can take a while. If they had limited stores you may also need to feed them.

Video please Will

a timeline would be better
Nucs tend to be quite inactive for a while after making up - the populations will be small, initially, any nurse bees (which is what you will have remaining) will be busy just tending the brood and queen cell - there will be little foragers, and although once all the brood has emerged there will be more to forage, remember, you haven't a laying queen yet so it will bee a couple of months (depending on how soon the queen gets mated, and if it was successful) before you get any new bees.
Forget about dead cats like laying workers for now - you just need patience, I never bother looking in a nuc with a QC until at least a month has passed, usually longer.

think there may be no queen present
Without a timeline a conclusion would be unreliable, especially if the queen hides or your virgin recognition is not up to speed.

A month is long enough to wait, but add a frame or patch of eggs & larvae and check after a few days.

a timeline would be better
Nucs tend to be quite inactive for a while after making up - the populations will be small, initially, any nurse bees (which is what you will have remaining) will be busy just tending the brood and queen cell - there will be little foragers, and although once all the brood has emerged there will be more to forage, remember, you haven't a laying queen yet so it will bee a couple of months (depending on how soon the queen gets mated, and if it was successful) before you get any new bees.
Forget about dead cats like laying workers for now - you just need patience, I never bother looking in a nuc with a QC until at least a month has passed, usually longer.
26th April nuc was made.

How do you know if you’ve got laying workers?
they can only lay drone eggs, so you'll know once they're capped - they also tend to lay in a haphazard 'pepperpot' pattern unlike a Drone Laying queen which will in general lay a tidy (ish) slab of brood

Further to my last and prompted by your posts to make a video on the current hive situation here it is!It's not riveting viewing , but hopefully some of you will be able to advise on my next move with my hive and nuc?One question...can I consume some of the honey? There seems a lot of it capped off?

Further to my last and prompted by your posts to make a video on the current hive situation here it is!It's not riveting viewing , but hopefully some of you will be able to advise on my next move with my hive and nuc?One question...can I consume some of the honey? There seems a lot of it capped off?

Hi WIll,
Just a couple of things here if it helps. At about 1:37.... I think what you are seeing is pollen in the cells that the bees put in them. Although you thought you noticed brood at around 2:28, I couldn't see any and I think the nuc is finished. In relation to the main hive, I got a glimpse at about 7:28 onwards of a few of what looked like capped worker cells, which is promising. The queen was most likely on one of the two centre frames but as you know, you didn't get that far in. That's where the bulk of the brood would be. I was hoping you would remove more frames :) . After you take frames out and and inspect them, you can just sit them on their ends on the ground and lean them up again the hives/stand (that will avoid crushing bees and honeycomb). You could also put some frames back in as you work through. I'd say it's queenright however, given the little bit of brood and what I saw overall, but because you lost at least one swarm from them a couple of months ago, the total number of bees wasn't very high and time is taken for the new queen to get mated, start laying and then for her offspring to emerge etc. so there are not enough bees to collect enough to use the super at this stage. I wouldn't take frames away from them (in the main box) but you could certainly get a container and scrape a little capped honey off and into it to bring inside to taste.

I meant to say too, that it looks like there could be a small amount of wax moth grub activity/damage (on a frame in the nuc) at around 1:40 to 2 minutes. I can just make out some webbing.
https://wild-life-in-france.blogspot.com/2018/09/wax-moth-and-honeybees-in-france.html

Latest posts

Back