New Nuc not performing well

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi WIll,
Just a couple of things here if it helps. At about 1:37.... I think what you are seeing is pollen in the cells that the bees put in them. Although you thought you noticed brood at around 2:28, I couldn't see any and I think the nuc is finished. In relation to the main hive, I got a glimpse at about 7:28 onwards of a few of what looked like capped worker cells, which is promising. The queen was most likely on one of the two centre frames but as you know, you didn't get that far in. That's where the bulk of the brood would be. I was hoping you would remove more frames :) . After you take frames out and and inspect them, you can just sit them on their ends on the ground and lean them up again the hives/stand (that will avoid crushing bees and honeycomb). You could also put some frames back in as you work through. I'd say it's queenright however, given the little bit of brood and what I saw overall, but because you lost at least one swarm from them a couple of months ago, the total number of bees wasn't very high and time is taken for the new queen to get mated, start laying and then for her offspring to emerge etc. so there are not enough bees to collect enough to use the super at this stage. I wouldn't take frames away from them (in the main box) but you could certainly get a container and scrape a little capped honey off and into it to bring inside to taste.
Can I re house the nuc bees in the main hive?

What can I do about it?
Wax moth? Tap the frame lightly and repeatedly. After a while (less than a minute) the larvae will emerge and you can kill it. Alternatively, chase the webbing with a hive tool until the larvae is exposed, then hoick it out.

Wax moth prefer weak colonies and older comb and can demolish a queenless nuc in warm weather - their ideal reproductive temp. is 32C.

Can I re house the nuc bees in the main hive?
If I take honey from the hive do I just cut a chunk out or do I have to scrape it off the frame?
Still not entirely sure what to do with the nuc. Dealing with the wax moth would be a good idea. Im thinking of blocking the Nuc and shaking them out in front of the decent hive.

If I take honey from the hive do I just cut a chunk out or do I have to scrape it off the frame?
Still not entirely sure what to do with the nuc. Dealing with the wax moth would be a good idea. Im thinking of blocking the Nuc and shaking them out in front of the decent hive.
Yes, what you could do is scrape some of the capped honey off with a teaspoon, but don't go through the foundation. What I'd probably do with the nuc is shake the bees off the frames (there can't be too many bees in there now...they'll probably beg their way into the main hive), and then put the frames in the freezer for at least a couple of days to kill any eggs and larvae of wax moth and then either keep them in the freezer if you have the room, or store them somewhere vermin (and wax moth) proof for use later on. You could scrape some of the capped honey from those frames if you want instead of the main colony..
If I were you, I'd consider trying to capture a swarm in you local area so you have then have two colonies.🙂

Yes, what you could do is scrape some of the capped honey off with a teaspoon, but don't go through the foundation. What I'd probably do with the nuc is shake the bees off the frames (there can't be too many bees in there now...they'll probably beg their way into the main hive), and then put the frames in the freezer for at least a couple of days to kill any eggs and larvae of wax moth and then either keep them in the freezer if you have the room, or store them somewhere vermin (and wax moth) proof for use later on. You could scrape some of the capped honey from those frames if you want instead of the main colony..
If I were you, I'd consider trying to capture a swarm in you local area so you have then have two colonies.🙂
When you say shake the bees from the nuc off, do I get rid of the nuc? or seal it up?They then will try to access the main hive?

When you say shake the bees from the nuc off, do I get rid of the nuc? or seal it up?They then will try to access the main hive?
You mean the box? Shake any bees that may be left in the nuc on the ground outside the nuc ( managing the frames as per #27 or as otherwise appropriate) and then put the box in a shed out of the way of any vermin or the like for use at a later date ( for example for a split next year as a pre-emptive anti-swarm procedure ).
Yeah, the bees from the nuc (can't be many left?) will beg their way into the queenright hive. If you see something on a frame or elsewhere in the nuc that really surprises you, take a photo and come back with any further queries.

You mean the box? Shake any bees that may be left in the nuc on the ground outside the nuc ( managing the frames as per #27 or as otherwise appropriate) and then put the box in a shed out of the way of any vermin or the like for use at a later date ( for example for a split next year as a pre-emptive anti-swarm procedure ).
Yeah, the bees from the nuc (can't be many left?) will beg their way into the queenright hive. If you see something on a frame or elsewhere in the nuc that really surprises you, take a photo and come back with any further queries.
Thanks for the advice, been wondering what to do about its when I had the time!the only surprising thing is the presence of a wax moth grub! I suppose I can take all the honey comb stored!?

Thanks for the advice, been wondering what to do about its when I had the time!the only surprising thing is the presence of a wax moth grub! I suppose I can take all the honey comb stored!?
Yes, you can freeze the comb with honey in it. The honey will keep well like that as it goes almost like hard toffee rather than freezing as such and it slows crystallisation. It doesn't expand either. It will kill any wax moth eggs and/or larvae as long as it is in for a few days so it's all really cold. You'll need to let it warm to room temp later to extract it out. Taste some before you freeze it.

Yes, you can freeze the comb with honey in it. The honey will keep well like that as it goes almost like hard toffee rather than freezing as such and it slows crystallisation. It doesn't expand either. It will kill any wax moth eggs and/or larvae as long as it is in for a few days so it's all really cold. You'll need to let it warm to room temp later to extract it out. Taste some before you freeze it.
Great !just scraped some with a spoon into a bowl from the main hive absolutely delicious! Will post the video of the nuc...pretty much empty and the wax moth grubs have wrecked it.

Latest posts

Back