New nuc and cold weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taurus

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am collecting a nuc on Wednesday. The chap I am getting it from has advised me to transfer it into a hive pretty quickly as the frames are getting full.

The forecast for the rest of this week is not very warm - between 8-10 degrees round here.

Will transferring the frames from the nuc to a hive at these temperatures cause any problems?

As long as no queencells being made, plenty of stores available. Put nuc box on stand where you intend on hiving and leave for a couple of days with entrance open for bees to orientate. Weather set to warm up in two to three days. They will be ok.

If they're in one of the thin walled transport nucs (especially the cardboard types), then they will be better off in a hive with dummy boards either side of the frames..
Just leave them for a couple of hours to settle before you transfer them and be quick about it .. they may be ansi in low temperatures so have a smoker ready.. but don't smoke them unless you need to..

I should have said they're in a poly nuc. So if I can leave them for a couple of days to see if the weather improves. It is horrible at the moment.

Buy a poly nuc or 2 . It will come in handy in the future .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Buy a poly nuc or 2 . It will come in handy in the future .

Oooppps . Must read all of the post . They will be fine in that . Buy another poly anyway .

I am collecting a nuc on Wednesday. The chap I am getting it from has advised me to transfer it into a hive pretty quickly as the frames are getting full.

The forecast for the rest of this week is not very warm - between 8-10 degrees round here.

Will transferring the frames from the nuc to a hive at these temperatures cause any problems?

Here are two interesting quotes from Beebase Best Practice Guideline No. 6 'Spring Checks', that might be of interest -

As a general rule colonies should not be examined below 10, quickly between 10 and 14 and above 14 there will be no problem. Bees do not usually fly below about 10 so this is a very useful guide...

It's debatable whether a quick transfer into a brood-box constitutes an examination.

...Many beekeepers worry about chilling brood during early inspections but chilled brood is only found where brood has been left exposed for some time usually as the result of a sudden drop in adult bee numbers such as occurs following a spray incident.

I would read that as - if you're organised and have all the equipment you need to hand, and do strictly what you intend to do with no faffing around... then maybe you'll be ok !

Wind would be a consideration too, possibly.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back