Nuc transfer and weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westawake90

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Morning all,

All going well will be collecting my nucs this weekend.

Looking ahead the forecast is showing rain on and off at some stage all weekend. What are my options in terms of time length for the bees to orientate when transferring from Nuc to the hives?

What would be the ideal length of time for nucs to be on the hives spot? But what is the minimum you could get away with?

Thanks for any respons

If I understand your question there is no need to worry. I assume the bees have never been near your site before, and will stay there for the foreseeable future? If so, just put the nuc on the permanent position for the colony and open up. When you feel they are strong enough to go into a full hive, move nuc aside, put hive in it's place and transfer the frames and bees. Take the nuc box away

Yes i should have explained it better. They are 2 6 frame nucs so are from what i have been told are ready to be transferred to a full hive. If they orientate for example 6 hours on the new site is that sufficient?

I’d assume you mean nucs are coming in travel boxes?
Simply put into place and I’d leave for an hour to settle. Then just do any time you like.

Yes i should have explained it better. They are 2 6 frame nucs so are from what i have been told are ready to be transferred to a full hive. If they orientate for example 6 hours on the new site is that sufficient?
no need to hang around for more than a minute - I do mine as soon as they arrive at their new apiary - putting them in a new box will mean they will immediately orientate to that

Thanks for the responses. Yes in two travel boxes. They are also coming from over 3 miles away so the idea to transfer them straight into the hive is a good one

Back