New bees in two weeks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zante

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
I will be picking up my hives next weekend and placing them on site, and the Saturday after I will be getting two nucs to fill them. The hives take ten frames and the nucs come on six frames. From how they've been described, the beekeeper is very keen to sell only very strong nucs. If all frames aren't covered or if the season isn't too good she'd rather postpone delivery than sell the nucs.

So, here comes the question: once I've moved the frames from the nuc to the hive, considering they're supposed to be six dadant brood frames packed with bees, how many frames of foundation should I add? Fill the hive with four extra frames (two on each side, they're cold way)? Add just two and add two more when they're drawn?

The queen is a 2016 queen.

Last edited:
This time of the year I would add empty frames each side but if really cold weather is forecast you may add a couple and fill the void with insulation. Personally I can't be bothered with that and just add the lot! Bees in the middle. Warm way, I never use cold way. Good luck exciting times ahead.
E

I never use warm way!
I would put in foundation to fill the box and the bees should be fine. Feed if there is no forage or not much forage to help them draw the foundation.

I hived my overwintered nuc yesterday and made it eleven frames, three one side and two the other. This is a poly so I didn't see the need for extra insulation. Their little Queen is a superstar and I imagine they will fill it pretty quick.

Funnily enough I run one hive warm way and one cold way due to position I cannot get right round the back of the cold way one so I work it from the side.

The warm one is cedar and the cold is poly. The poly hive, despite being in the shade in the morning, are always up and about a good hour before the cedar hive which gets the sun straight from the off.

Got confused with cool and warm way... My frames run from front to back in brood box.
E

Well, I don't get a choice. 10 frame dadant isn't square, and it is cold way, castellated too.

Forage-wise there's plenty around. Acacia should be coming into bloom soon, so I don't think I'll need to feed. Maybe I'll fill one small feeder each just to get them started, but if the nucs are as strong as described they shouldn't need it.

As for the weather, it's quite good. Temps easily reach the twenties during the day, and last night's frost is an exception at this point in the year.

I'm guessing I'll have to practice putting foundation on the wires. The super frames come assembled and wired, but with the foundation to be added. Looks like the bees won't give much time before I'll have to add a super...

Hi Zante, I'm in the Tosco-Emiliano Apennines. I'm getting my 2 nucs next month. It's nice to see someone else here who's in Italy :)
I have 2 10 frame Dadants on order. Out with the beekeepers on Friday, they just transferred the 5 nuc frames into the proper hive and filled up 4 spaces with foundation and put the (empty) feeder in the final space. I got foundation that was already wired on the frame.

Hi Zante, I'm in the Tosco-Emiliano Apennines. I'm getting my 2 nucs next month. It's nice to see someone else here who's in Italy :)
I have 2 10 frame Dadants on order. Out with the beekeepers on Friday, they just transferred the 5 nuc frames into the proper hive and filled up 4 spaces with foundation and put the (empty) feeder in the final space. I got foundation that was already wired on the frame.

We might be closer than you think. I'm in Mugello, and my bees will be in Londa.

I also have already "waxed" brood frames, but the super frames still need the foundation to be added. I'll have to do a bit of practice with the wire heater!

We might be closer than you think. I'm in Mugello, and my bees will be in Londa.

I also have already "waxed" brood frames, but the super frames still need the foundation to be added. I'll have to do a bit of practice with the wire heater!

Nice one. Happy waxing! I guess I'll run into a similar problem...

Mugello, I know. We're above Fanano, towards the Tuscany border. I can walk up to the ridge and down into Tuscany from where I live :)

Back