New beekeeping from Pembrokeshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long story as sometimes happened . I started with two then one swarmed etc and in no time I had a few more but novice is a understatement I really am flying by the skin of my pants . Just when I think I think I’m getting the hang of this they act and behave different to any book suggests

yes can be difficult - they don't read the same books as us and some of the books we read are not very good either. The Haynes beekeeping manual might help you . There are some useful threads on here about books.

My only wish is to be the best Beekeeper I can bee for my bees. . I am totally responsible for their well being and have strived to do the best for them which includes the correct siting along with supporting flowers etc. Like you sir I am passionate about them

My only wish is to be the best Beekeeper I can bee for my bees. . I am totally responsible for their well being and have strived to do the best for them which includes the correct siting along with supporting flowers etc. Like you sir I am passionate about them

:welcome:

We all try our best - otherwise we would not be here (on this forum).
Sometimes in my case, it's not good enough (As my teacher wrote on one essay!)

Thank you for your support and kind wishes

Welcome from the NE of Scotland, I like your passion! However I do not like your amount of Hives for a new Beekeeper, too many too soon, as problems will try to overpower your passion. Reduce amount whenever possible would be my advice. Slow and steady would be best at the beginning, maybe find a Bee Buddy to give you advice as you go, my Bee Buddy was 87 years young and I could go for advice whenever he was free. Marvellous worth his weight in Gold!

Read all the threads and over time you will get a feel for the experience bottled up on this forum, whilst trying to avoid the scraps.
Meanwhile attend the Sunday 2pm fortnightly PBKA sessions run by Paul Eade at scolton manor where much useful info is exchanged.
Agrée 14 might be asking for trouble and your own burn out. Maybe you got dumped on by a retiring beekeeper?!
My advice would be to pick the 7 best and newspaper merge the others - after killing their queens- with these good ones mid August.
Good chance they will get through winter then and the cycle of learning will continue for ever and ever....
Oh and don’t forget, beekeepers are like doctors. Ask ten for opinions on a beekeeping problem and get ten different opinions. And even then the bees will often surprise you.

Last edited:
Hello and good afternoon

Thank you for advice very sensible . Unfortunately things got a little carried away your suggestions and guidance is very much appreciated. For whatever reason swarms have been attracted to the immediate area surrounding my apiary. Like the novice that I am caught them and unfortunately the hive numbers increased beyond my expectations. I am privileged to be part of this forum and indeed the comments of many very wise bee keepers. Thank you for your continued support

Welcome from the NE of Scotland, I like your passion! However I do not like your amount of Hives for a new Beekeeper, too many too soon, as problems will try to overpower your passion. Reduce amount whenever possible would be my advice. Slow and steady would be best at the beginning, maybe find a Bee Buddy to give you advice as you go, my Bee Buddy was 87 years young and I could go for advice whenever he was free. Marvellous worth his weight in Gold!
Thank you for your wise words . Will certainly take on your suggestions and hopefully one day become a proper beekeeper

You are a proper Beekeeper, I agree! Just takes a wee while to cull your desire to keep all, we have all been there and worn the Teashirt. Keep your enthusiasm level up and enjoy your hobby above else.

Long story as sometimes happened . I started with two then one swarmed etc and in no time I had a few more but novice is a understatement I really am flying by the skin of my pants .
Sounds like a few unites before this winter would be a good idea ;)
I have my hands full with 3/4 at any time!

Latest posts

Back