New Bee here šŸ

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debido

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi everyone
Iā€™m Dee based in the north east of England.
Iā€™ve been beekeeping for 3 years now, after completing a course with my local BBKA.
I have 6 hivesā€¦. Yep only wanted two !
Iā€™ve made so many mistakes, some days I open the hive and feel like itā€™s day one but I love these little girlies, they are most fascinating to watch.
I thanks for letting me join, I love forward to reading posts from more seasoned keepers šŸ

Story of my beekeeping life!
Welcome. Stick around, this is the best beekeeping site on the planet.
How is your season so far?
Iā€™ve had a good year, I took nothing the first year, it was a little over whelming so I just concentrated on learning and getting them through winter.
Last year I got around 20 jars but this year even with poor weather Im up to 50 jars.
Iā€™ve only lost one colony however the art of swarm control is one Iā€™d like to master. šŸ˜‚
Iā€™ve attached a few photos, this years honey and the mess Iā€™m scratching my head on what to next, yep a swarm moved in šŸ˜‚
How long have you been beekeeping ?

Attachments

• IMG_0621.jpeg
    IMG_0621.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0609.jpeg
    IMG_0609.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0610.jpeg
    IMG_0610.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
15 years.....still feels like 2 sometimes

Try putting a brood box with foundation on top of all that wild comb (scrape the lid and eat the honey)
Hopefully the bees will move up for the winter. What's in the frames underneath? Can you move those up, maybe using some sort of eke with an entrance?

15 years.....still feels like 2 sometimes

Try putting a brood box with foundation on top of all that wild comb (scrape the lid and eat the honey)
Hopefully the bees will move up for the winter. What's in the frames underneath? Can you move those up, maybe using some sort of eke with an entrance?

Iā€™d put that hive Into storage to clean, itā€™s a battered old thing, one my mentor gave me to start out, the colony in there was just so lovely but died over winter so itā€™s sentimental.
Anyway I went to clean and found the swarm had taken over,
Iā€™ve scrapped the roof and put a clear crown board on.
Iā€™ve just bought an Abelā€™s poly so hopefully the next nice day Iā€™m going to try and transfer, I donā€™t really want to disturb the comb theyā€™ve built as itā€™s beautiful, underneath is frames, all mine are 14x12
Iā€™ve had advice to put the comb to frames but honestly just so clumsy šŸ˜‚

Hi, welcome. I started in 1980.still going..... Plenty to read on here

Latest posts

Back