new 2 bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the hut

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello all, im new to beekeeping,i attended clases last autumn and i got a nuke this june, ive been feeding them syrup once a week since, to try and build them up ,the weather has been bad (damp) it turns out i have to treat with apiguard ,when do i stop feeding and start treating,im in the midwest of IRELAND,hense the word damp,any advise would be welcome, thanks in advance

Now..... It is almost too late for a full treatment but at least try and get one in. As you may be a bit late consider oxalic acid in mid winter. But....... Do you need to treat. Have you checked the mite drop count? Check a few other posts on here for advice.
Welcome by the way........
Hope you have a good hive in the spring for next year.
Learn as much from the forum as possible without getting too mind blown over winter and don't be afraid to ask for help
E

Welcome to the forum :) I'm feeding and treating at the same time, though the treatment has almost finished now.

Hello all, im new to beekeeping,i attended clases last autumn and i got a nuke this june, ive been feeding them syrup once a week since, to try and build them up ,the weather has been bad (damp) it turns out i have to treat with apiguard ,when do i stop feeding and start treating,im in the midwest of IRELAND,hense the word damp,any advise would be welcome, thanks in advance

Welcome - I hope you're enjoying your beekeeping.

Perhaps I can help a little;

I did a course at the start of the year, and since then have spent quite a bit of time reviewing my notes - but there's always something else to remember isn't there ;)

You need to consider your IPM (Integrated Pest Management) section. Most people do Apiguard starting end of August - I was slightly late, and have only just finished mine (2 x 2 weeks - 4 weeks elapsed) today. The idea is it needs to be above a certain temperature (19 degrees ????) average. It may be too late now to be really effective. Mine were fed at the same time as being treated - 2 colonies took the food straight away, the other two took it eventually......

Check your notes - but according to mine your next opportunity is Oxalic Acid - to be done mid-winter when there's no brood present. If you go that route make sure you get the correct concentration - too high will kill your bees :eek:

Welcome, do you have varroa ?, do a mite drop count, check with beebase to see if your bees need treating

How many frames of bees & how much stores do they have. Are they still in the nuc box or did you move them. Mine are out every chance they get working ivy , still feeding . Down in the South of Ireland

Welcome, do you have varroa ?, do a mite drop count, check with beebase to see if your bees need treating

Ahhhh beware of putting too much faith in natural drop.
I have one colony that has dropped very little over the summer but obliged me with over a thousand varroa in the four weeks of Apilife.
They WILL have mites.
Treat them.

Latest posts

Back