Natural England

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that there must have been some "middle ground". Definately not an expert though.

Ben P

"to p**s everyone off further she confirmed that their bee focus is on bumble bees rather than 'domesticated' (sic.) bees."

Loosely, v loosely, BBKA have withdrawn from talks because FERA (I believe but maybe DEFRA) have said that honeybees contribution to pollination is only 10% and therefore not worth the full investment that solitary bees, bumble bees etc warrant due to being the principal pollinators.

Will try to find this and post a link.

that honeybees contribution to pollination is only 10%

Wow.

so the other 90% of the pollination of the almond trees in California is done by bumbles then....... ???????????

"to p**s everyone off further she confirmed that their bee focus is on bumble bees rather than 'domesticated' (sic.) bees."

Loosely, v loosely, BBKA have withdrawn from talks because FERA (I believe but maybe DEFRA) have said that honeybees contribution to pollination is only 10% and therefore not worth the full investment that solitary bees, bumble bees etc warrant due to being the principal pollinators.

Will try to find this and post a link.

I am sure they make a contribution but the claims of the end of the world if honey bees die out have always had me wondering

I would be very interested in the link as I have always had doubts about the claims made for honey bees and pollination.

Cheers
S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishmop View Post
Wow.
almond trees in California

"Originally post by Dishmop" ????????????

If you're going to quote me please quote all of the post I made.

"Originally post by Dishmop" ????????????
quote all of the post I made.

There is little point in quoting the whole of a post when it is more expedient and does not waste space to select the relevant part.

Posts are sometimes necessarily very long indeed. To bring attention to a certain part would require highlighting in bold/colour for the OP to understand what is being discussed.

Not quite the same in your case but only four words from your quip were required to illuminate my reply: "almond trees in California."

I note you did not quote all of my post.

Regards

I would be very interested in the link as I have always had doubts about the claims made for honey bees and pollination.
Cheers
S

I have searched for almost an hour and cannot find the place I saw it. If I find it again I will let you know.

Regards

I note you did not quote all of my post.

There was no need to repeat all of your post because I wasnt quoting it.
I was requesting that if you felt the need to quote something I had written to please quote all it. If you want to refer to a particular part of something you may find copy/past and wrap in quotes better than quoting the complete post and chopping bits out by selective editing...

Were you asking a question?

Last edited:
I think that there needs to be some distinction between areas of the world where honey bees are very important pollinators in deed, esp financially, ie Almonds in the States, and here in the UK where from memory the following are important.

Apples. Sadly diminished though the orchards are.

In Scotland a benefit was found on strawberries in the field.

OSR, a possible 10-15% increase in yield.

And that is really about it. So how important are honey bees to the UK in terms of pollination?

Not much really ....

PH

20 odd years ago I used to deliver small fruit plants such as strawberry etc to many places in Kent and around Worcester area.... There seemed to me to be nothing but fruit in those areas then.... Whats it like now?

Back