National Supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you mean. I don't understand what your saying? (im not being sarcastic)

I quoted your remarks about 14 x 12. I don't find them a "bitch to work with" and using the same handling care as standard brood frames there is no problem with sagging wax etc. As I said each to his own.

I quoted your remarks about 14 x 12. I don't find them a "bitch to work with" and using the same handling care as standard brood frames there is no problem with sagging wax etc. As I said each to his own.

The biggest part of the reason for sag is the temps in my apiarys which are south facing with either flint wall or chalk rock face behind the hives. this brings the temps up by as much as 20c above the ambient local temps which with the bottoms of the wax chewed can make them not just sag but actually bend out of the frame and that is holding them sideways as you should.

due to the size of the 16x10 I find the bees never chew the bottom out of the frame, in fact they always draw it out fully making it very stable. this is why im getting rid of all my 14x12s.

Made these three National Supers today out of a nice free source of timber. Its Larch, not as good as Cedar but hey its free and loads of it. They are not nailed yet just dry assembled.

Nice job
I made my first hive from Larch, I gave it to JBM a few years ago when I converted to 14x12, I don't know if he still has it and if it's still standing up to the weather.

Nice job
I made my first hive from Larch, I gave it to JBM a few years ago when I converted to 14x12, I don't know if he still has it and if it's still standing up to the weather.

still have it - it's my standby extra box, at the moment full of drawn comb to be stored for next season

Here you go - I had to change my supplier for the last lot of screws I bought (cheaper in bulk on t'interweb) as my usual supplier's website seems to have gone these have torque split heads not pozidriv and are far superior - no more burring of the heads

Thanks. That looks far more sensible.

Nantmoel,
Like you asked.

Attachments

• floor01.jpg
    floor01.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 32
  • floor02.jpg
    floor02.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 29
  • swienty.jpg
    swienty.jpg