Latest from Defra on AH

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers, sorry.
Philip is spot on with the lack of education in those who should know.
A neighbour keeps bees. Not only did she not know how to recognise a Vv but. Had no idea there were any found in the U.K. I downloaded the app on her phone.
The serious problem with trying to educate beekeepers let alone the general public about AH is imprecise reading of what's published. Some otherwise educated people read an article but actually take in a surprisingly low portion of what they've read. There's a comical saying half the world is below average intelligence but even in the above average sector learning and retaining accurately can be a struggle. Hence we get people proudly announcing they've seen "one of these new hornets" when in reality they've seen a large wasp (sometimes a queen or even a European hornet).
Going back some years before t'interweb, newspapers and hoardings were widespread, plus at that time the BBC was a respected source and every police station, library and public building had notice boards which distributed knowledge. (I can still see in my minds eye a poster of a Colorado beetle outside our local cop shop 70 years ago.) Technology has actually lessened dissemination of knowledge through cluttering our minds with nonsense.
I've not bought a daily newspaper for years now as what used to be a few pennies now approaches or exceeds a couple of pounds, television news is full of opinions instead of facts and it becomes ever harder to filter out real news or truth from dross. God help future generations.

(I can still see in my minds eye a poster of a Colorado beetle outside our local cop shop 70 years ago.)
Heavens! I remember those. I used to scour my dad's allotment for these things....thankfully never found one
I've not bought a daily newspaper for years now as what used to be a few pennies now approaches or exceeds a couple of pounds, television news is full of opinions instead of facts and it becomes ever harder to filter out real news or truth from dross. God help future generations.
I do read them online. You would think that the journalists working with differing editorial/political viewpoints were reporting from different planets.

Heavens! I remember those. I used to scour my dad's allotment for these things....thankfully never found one

I do read them online. You would think that the journalists working with differing editorial/political viewpoints were reporting from different planets.
I love reading a real newspaper but even with a subscription for 7 days a week plus delivery (we live very remote from shops and driving to the shop is more expensive) the cost hit £1000 per year we went to weekend only as hard copy. Got to light the woodburner somehow!!

Back