Latest from Defra on YLH

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still struggling to see why there's a need to change the common name.
A. it gets confused with the Asian giant hornet.
B. It's giving the usual xenophobes the excuse to practice their bigotry and race hatred

A. it gets confused with the Asian giant hornet.
B. It's giving the usual xenophobes the excuse to practice their bigotry and race hatred
A. If the Asian giant hornet gets here, start off with a common name that won't confuse with the existing Asian hornet.

B. Can't keep changing names just to cover up other's lack of intelligence.

If the vespula germanica is called "Yellowjacket", the VV could well receive the adjective "Blackorangejacket Hornet"
By allusion.
In the comment, explain the reason why you could use that word with a pejorative meaning, which exists in YOUR language for historical reasons of racism and xenophobia.
On the other hand, using a word to refer to an animal, due to its context and not its physical condition, is difficult to assimilate even to accepting the anthropomorphization of species as something valid, acceptable and universal. What's more, even "yellow-legged Asian" could be equally unacceptable under the same criteria.

I'm still struggling to see why there's a need to change the common name. Unless of course it can be shown that many Asian hornets have escaped capture because their name isn't descriptive enough. Yellow legged/socked are both in common usage and will continue to be so even if one is prioritised as 'official'.
Some communities objected to the term "Asian hornet". I don't know if it was them over reacting, or other people being idiots for latching on to "Asian" and using it as excuse to be vile, maybe a combination of the two.

Back