National hives mported flat packed from China

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunbury

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Flat packed hives from China seem to be advertised on at least 2 or more sites and the printed feedback is in every case favourable. The cost is very reasonable and they are stated to be made of first class cedar and not seconds.
Has anyone got first hand knowledge of these hives?

I always try and buy british and if i can buy locally made to support small businesses. i think local small businesses take more pride in their work but thats just my opinion

Yes so do I.
Buy British is the best thing we all can do and avoid where ever possible imports from the EU and elsewhere

Flat packed hives from China seem to be advertised on at least 2 or more sites and the printed feedback is in every case favourable. The cost is very reasonable and they are stated to be made of first class cedar and not seconds.
Has anyone got first hand knowledge of these hives?

The only people i know of who bought Chinese made British National hives have had a lot of issues with them. The wood is still a bit 'live' and after a couple of seasons there are fit issues, in the words of one person who bit due to the price, there were no two the same after the irregular shrinkage, some of them so much so they had to trim the frame lugs a whisker to get them in the boxes.

No doubt there will be good product from that origin too, so the ones you have found may be fine. Difficult provenence that needs a watertight spec in the contract, and if you are stified that this is so then dip your toe in the water.

We have bought one Chinese hive of Flea bay, the cedar was as good as a british bees on a buget hive and better than winter sale stuff the roof was even cedar not OSB, it did have a few flaws such as the entrance block being set in the bottom edge of the brood box, it also had a solid cedar floor and no ventilation in the roof, came with manley fames for super and Dn4's for BB, even had foundation though it was mullered in transit and a rather strange dark colour.
I would buy a caddon hive if you can aford it the quality is to notch they go together a treat all parts numbered. they knock the big players into a cocked hat, delivery is a bit long but wourth it. I have also tried poly hives, winter will tell as we suffer with damp fogs / mists.
Cedar

Latest posts

Back