Mystery bee cafe in new garden...any suggestions?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
We moved into a new house in May, and we have a tall tree in the garrden, that for the last 3 weeks has sounded like a swarm due to the number of honey bees dining...

Someone suggested it was a 'Strawberry Tree' but from internet pictures and the RHS book it isn't. Can anyone shed light on what we have please...apologies for picture quality - I think I might need a ladder...

Could be Eucryphia, flowers about this time.

It is Eucryphia.....you lucky thing. Super tree. I have been nursing one along for five years (it was in a pot and we brought it with us when we moved here) It's in the ground now and produced ONE flower last year......sigh.

Thanks all, I popped to the garden centre today and bought another one :) But could only get a different species x nymansensis, which is shorter sadly. Now I must hunt down another Eucrypia Penwith - which grows to 50 feet!! So ours has a few feet to go hopefully :)

Oh and a better picture...or 3 and can I take any type of cuttings???

Thanks Queens - and all - I've never heard of that one. Methinks I might invest in a E nymsnasx.l - the small one!

Semi hardwood cuttings. You might just get away with doing them now, but it's getting a bit late.

I have some going from heel cuttings

PS. Some cultivars are known as Leatherwood in Tasmania and produce supposedly wonderful mono floral honey

Last edited:
Careful...... Not fully hardy! Needs a warm spot and acid soil!
E

Latest posts

Back