My queen flew away!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkwinston4

Field Bee
Reaction score
WBC/Smith/National/nucs in Horsham, West Sussex.
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
Did my first inspection after new queen emerged a few weeks back and I was really pleased to see three day old eggs, not many but at least she is finally laying.

Anyway I hadn't seen the queen when I took out an empty frame from the end she was on there on her own. There were a couple of bees on the other side of the frame but it seemed odd that she was on her own and she didn't run off when I took the frame out. Then just as I was about to mark her she flew off.

Two questions; is that normal for her to be just sitting there contemplating life about four frames away from the brood and the majority of the bees?

And should I be worried that she flew away?

err yes, if she hasn't come back. Advice I've been given is to remain where you are ( to ensure no change in orientation markers) and she will usually come back.

As for being away from brood, I suspect we have all seen queens in odd places, and as long as she was acting normally and was being acted towards normally by the workers, yes normal.

Go back and have a look in 5 days,if they have put up emergency cells she did not come back.but saying that I have know new laying queens to come back.

If the queen leaves by her own accord, change the locks straight away, you have a greater chance in court keeping the house better if you have kids....lol

Busy Bee:hurray:

Two questions; is that normal for her to be just sitting there contemplating life about four frames away from the brood and the majority of the bees?

NO

YES.

She may come back though.

Similar thing happened to me a week ago. Went to inspect new queen to see if she was laying- no, but she took flight. Checked today and she was back in, allowed us to mark her but still no brood.

tk

"is that normal for her to be just sitting there contemplating life about four frames away from the brood and the majority of the bees? "

In my experience, Yes. The longer you leave between smoking and opening up, the further from eggs she tends to be.

I've never had a Q fly away - she probably got ideas from that Cheryl Cole!

Latest posts

Back