My first attempt

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rink123

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
I am new to bee keeping and I don't have a single bee ,except the bumble bees in the loft which are flying all around the place as if lost and dropping like flies not dead but just seem tired.
I have copied some plans from Dave Cushmans site and I don't know if what I have made will be any good ,my wife helped me , we haven't made any supers yet ,we are just very eager to get bees into the brood box first. We can make the supers if you think what is done so far is ok but I have read not to put them on in the beginning. Should I paint the pull out inspection tray white or yellow and should I use gloss paint? We need to get the frames which we will most likely buy as we are not sure how to do them all the suppliers are shut because of bank holiday so we have to wait.
Any feed back on my hive will be greatly appreciated good or bad, thanks for looking

what sort of sealant have you used on the joins or is it just wet pva glue?
watch out for silicon sealants as all are pretty toxic for all creatures

Thanks for the tip , it is just wood glue .I was thinking about using sealant but thought wood glue was better

If you have followed the correct dimensions then it will work.

Just a few observations

The reduced entrance bloc is not normally fixed in place but removable as it is not always needed all year round.

I assume you are going to fit frame runners

What is the size of the mesh it looks a bit large from the photo

There also appears to be gaps between the floor and brood box, which could allow wasps or robber bees into the hive.

If you have followed the correct dimensions then it will work.

I assume you are going to fit frame runners

Worth bearing in mind that plastic tile edging makes good budget frame runners.

Ok thanks Tom I didnt realise the entrance was removable I can perhaps change this , I will fit frame runners but I have to buy them I could only find mesh that had 4 holes to an inch so I cut 2 pieces one on top of the other making {off set} it 8 holes to an inch
Thanks Craig do you think I could use glue or something to fill in my uneven edge My saw was playing up cutting at an angle so I tried to sand it level when you look under you can't see through any gaps it all appears to be on the outside edge lol
Thank you all for the feed back

Thank you skyhook just saw your post thats a good idea :}

Another couple of tips from here. You have screwed your rails to the side walls (screw heads on the outside). Better if you piloted from inside and pulled the side rails tight to the sides. There is only 18/19mm for the screw thread to hold the way you have done it; the other way allows far longer screws.

Screws put in slightly 'on the tosh' will hold parts even longer and easier than straight in. That goes for your side wall fixing as well - the centre one to line up the parts and the others at slightly on the tosh (looks like you may need to countersink those screw heads, too).

There appears to be a bit of a curve on the front board; that may need flatting or a super may not sit flat. Other than that it looks good. The bees will be 'at home' in it.

I used two layers of staggered mesh on my first Dartington. You may need to twist some wires through the mesh to keep the two layers close together. Never had any problem with my Dartington from that point of view, except the two layers were not quite as flat as my second attempt where the divider board fits so much better, anywhere along the hive.

Regards, RAB

Thank you Rab , I think my attention was placed to much on getting the right measurements and I can now see all the flaws ,that you have pointed out ,you are right there is a curve at the front I will try and straighten it, not sure if I will be able to lol. I was concerned about getting my screw in straight now I wish I had let them go "on the tosh" :) I am encouraged by the fact that your double layer of mesh worked so will wire it together in a couple of places as you say
I am learning so much from all of you thanks so much :cheers2:

Good point about driving the screws from the inside out - would look tidier as well.
you can get decent mesh on fleabay - usually about four sheets at the time and not overly pricey. Hive looks good though, well done!

Good point about driving the screws from the inside out - would look tidier as well.
you can get decent mesh on fleabay - usually about four sheets at the time and not overly pricey. Hive looks good though, well done!

Thankyou and yes I agree it would be better but I was concerned that the bees wouldn't like loads of screw heads :rofl: its true !! bee-smillie
I was just so keen to give it ago I bought the mesh from charlies stores only place I could find open , I am sure I will make a better one sometime in the future ,taking all this advise and taking more time , its just today I had lots of enthusiasm and time but no materials and I just can't wait to get some bees all I can think about is bees I even dream about them :rofl: I know its not good to rush into things and when I put my hive out whats the betting the bumble bees from the loft move in :rofl:
bee-smillie

When you start it becomes a compulsive hobby - i've bought stuff, started to use it, then with experience or other's advice/feedback decided not to - it's part of the learning curve, and this is my first season!! so don't worry, enjoy the learning experience

Well I told my wife about her mistakes and said she has to put them right :smilielol5: she went out to the shed with a spirit level mumbling something about "fussy men" she said she will counter sink the screws and hide them under sawdust mixed with glue if that will make us happy :hurray:
Here are some more piccys that hopefully will be ok just looking at levelness now:)

looking better the bees will thank you for it.

Yay thank you Craig ,I'm really enjoying making this so I hope the bees will be happy too

Well now it got a bit of wood treatment it doesn't look so bad ;)

Hi just going through the forum and came across your thread and was just going to say well done on construction of your hive, it looks good and you do get better the more you do, your brave giving it a go before having one to copy off as thats what i normally do. wait till you get the bees thats when the fun starts,
all the best
neville

Well I told my wife about her mistakes and said she has to put them right :smilielol5: she went out to the shed with a spirit level mumbling something about "fussy men" she said she will counter sink the screws and hide them under sawdust mixed with glue if that will make us happy :)
Dare iImention to her that us brought up in the old fashioned school of carpentry would prefer slot head screws as long as the slots are all aligned - parallell with the longest lside of the box!! (I'll get me coat shall I :biggrinjester:)

Thank you both
I've told her about the screws :D she went off muttering something about "you go buy me some then":rofl: but did say she has learnt alot and the second one will be better;)

Back