My 1st AS (Horsley board)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrB

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had inspected this colony last Friday and noticed a few play cups, some with eggs in them, i removed these at the time of inspection.
Thought today i had better check again and found a few play cups with larvae and jelly and 2 sealed Q cells (which were removed), didn't see HM (not seen her since she was a virgin last year!) but don't think they had swarmed as there were (I think) just as many bee's as before.
So, BB moved to the side, new one put in its place with foundation and all bee's (Including HM I hope) brushed into new box. Q/E on top then 2 supers, Horsley board with entrance closed and facing the opposite direction, original BB containing brood, stores, and the unsealed Q cells, the oldest i would estimate as around 7 days old (must have missed it last Friday).
So, i shall nervously await the next stage! :toetap05:

BB moved to the side, new one put in its place with foundation and all bee's (Including HM I hope) brushed into new box.

Why brush all the bees? Surely you need the nurse bees in the old hive to tend the brood, you should only have the queen and the flying bees in the new box.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Why brush all the bees? Surely you need the nurse bees in the old hive to tend the brood, you should only have the queen and the flying bees in the new box.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

They were all brushed as i could not find the queen, and the nurse bee's will move up through the excluder in the horsley board

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back