Mustard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
Is there anyone out there that knows there mustards or has opinions on mustards.

Must admit I am a fan of Maille french mustard and when we were over the channel last month stocked up with the whole grain, semi whole and smoth.

Does anyone know of better choice?

i don't know my mustards but i am partial to wholegrain myself and at the risk of a heavy verbal battering i don't like english mustard i find it too overpowering

I like lots of overpowering Colemans English mustard,and no others.

Whole grain French for me, I will leave the English mustard for those that are looking for a Colonoscopy, or fire extinguisher....

I like lots of overpowering Colemans English mustard,and no others

Taylor's English. Originally from Newport Pagnell, but could be from anywhwere now. Not as sharp/hot/overpowering as Colmans.

RAB

I love mustards, any kind.
I once went to a Colman's do where the whole range was laid out with little sausages to try them with. I took a large dollop of one sample, hogged it in and then had an eye watering 5 minutes coughing and spluttering. The man next to me offered me his hanky and said he was glad I enjoyed the product. turned out to be the MD............exit stage left red faced..........

I do like Colman's tarragon mustard which I discovered on that visit.
Cazza

Personally I never stray beyond Cumberland Mustard. If you are interested google Cumberland Mustard Alston.

No connections with the firm but I didn't like mustard until persuaded to try theirs at an agricultural show.

Yes Dijon for me too.
My parents had horseradish in our garden when I was a child. I used to grate it outside wearing a World War 11 gas mask then my mum would make it up with beetroot...the Polish way. It was worth the tears :)

although it galls me to say it - English mustard every time - although my brother sends me a powdered mustard from fortnum and masons called gunpowder and it is fantastic - depends how you mix it you get different heats to suit all occasions.
I grow my own horseradish and whiz it up in the food processor, add some wine vinegar and it will keep for months in a jam jar (but don't get too close with your nose when you open it as i've seen grown men faint with the fumes!!) when you use it mix it with a bit of cream and a good dad of powdered English (that's my ancestors stirring in the crypt again) mustard you can't beat it
French or Amertican mustard - OK for salad dressings and feeding to babies I suppose :D

English mustard is the only thing worthy of the name, the others are mere spicy condements with or without bits.

Colmans in a jar is pretty damn good, but the best is the powdered variety.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm bacon sarnie and mustard :drool5::drool5::drool5::drool5: , think I may have to have breakfast after all

Colemans English mustard....... gran used to rub it into her hands to get rid of garlic and onion smell ofter peeling pickling etc.....

Fresh mackerel filleted and dipped in freshly crushed mustard seed and sea salt then griddled over hot BBQ......................!

Yes Dijon for me too.
My parents had horseradish in our garden when I was a child. I used to grate it outside wearing a World War 11 gas mask then my mum would make it up with beetroot...the Polish way. It was worth the tears :)

Do you have the recipe for that, E0.5B?

Latest posts

Back