multiple eggs and supercedure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.or have too much time on your hands to find 15 ways of complicating things!

60 years. I have reared 90% out of my queens.

What means complicating things.

Jeff, you are a great talent to use in typical intelligent British poking. You think it is funny?

You put most stupid things to another's mouth and them you start to enjoy about your own stupidity.

Where all fun happens...

Last edited:
I have 15 different ways. Too long story.
Do you have a favourite method which you find works best? I understand different circumstances in the hive might require different techniques but if you had one recommended method what would that be? 60 years experience is a very valuable source of knowledge!

The queen this thread is about is less than a year old (was introduced in a queen cage) and was doing well till this inspection.

Do you have a favourite method which you find works best? I understand different circumstances in the hive might require different techniques but if you had one recommended method what would that be? 60 years experience is a very valuable source of knowledge!

The queen this thread is about is less than a year old (was introduced in a queen cage) and was doing well till this inspection.

There is no such method like "best". It depends time of the season, how well bees accept the new queen. Age of queen is important . If the queen has arrived via post, bees often change it.

In August when there is no yield any more, bees want to kill all introduced queens. In September during feeding, thing go well.

Push in cage is a good apparatus.

Last edited:
I was forced to requeen both my hives last year (1st year) because both hives turned from really passive to killer bees!
I was stung fourteen times through two pairs of marigolds and a pair of latex gloves. They were on me as soon as I entered the apiary.
I killed both Queens and bought two new mated replacements.
So far so good. I have two super passive hives and mega productive colonies.
I had twenty or so play cups across the two hives late in April.
I’ve since added a shallow below the main brood chamber and so far no more cups.
My point;
There is a time and place for introducing new queens. Killing the old girls was heart wrenching, but it’s paying dividends now 🤞🏼

I was forced to requeen both my hives last year (1st year) because both hives turned from really passive to killer bees!
I was stung fourteen times through two pairs of marigolds and a pair of latex gloves. They were on me as soon as I entered the apiary.
I killed both Queens and bought two new mated replacements.
So far so good. I have two super passive hives and mega productive colonies.
I had twenty or so play cups across the two hives late in April.
I’ve since added a shallow below the main brood chamber and so far no more cups.
My point;
There is a time and place for introducing new queens. Killing the old girls was heart wrenching, but it’s paying dividends now 🤞🏼
Sounds good and was a good call. What new queens did you get?

Sounds good and was a good call. What new queens did you get?
I got the from Northumberland Honey, the Buckfast queens. A friend of mine has the dark queens which are so chilled he doesn’t wear protection.
I’m not that brave or stupid yet!
I am conscious of imported queens so avoided these vehemently.

Just buy a copy of Snelgrove's 'The introduction of queen bees' he discusses all methods of queen introduction from the sensible to the ludicrous, it's a great read.
Thanks for that, I may have a look. Even though currently I will probably be squishing queens to reunite rather than introducing them! Knowledge is good though!

Just some thoughts on my original post. This hive changed towards the end of the year, went from calm to pinging me at a distance and boiling out the hive if I went close. I was thinking I’d requeen this year but then they were lovely and calm. So now wondering if they replaced the good queen late last year but maybe she wasn’t up to scratch and are replacing her again. I’ve not seen her since September and she was a big marked queen!
Before anyone suggests just buying them a queen, I have a queen coming in June and would rather wait to have her, i’ll see how they get on raising their own till then.

Reactions: BBC
Just some thoughts on my original post. This hive changed towards the end of the year, went from calm to pinging me at a distance and boiling out the hive if I went close. I was thinking I’d requeen this year but then they were lovely and calm. So now wondering if they replaced the good queen late last year but maybe she wasn’t up to scratch and are replacing her again. I’ve not seen her since September and she was a big marked queen!
Before anyone suggests just buying them a queen, I have a queen coming in June and would rather wait to have her, i’ll see how they get on raising their own till then.
Many an expert advised me to buy a mated queen to replace my aggressive ones.
You can wait for a supercedure, but you’re still continuing them same blood line and who knows what the blood line of the drones will be like.
The former is a more desirable and cost effective approach. But you have weigh up whether you can wait to see how the hive develops under the new queens influence.
I wasn’t prepared to gamble because mine were so aggressive.

Many an expert advised me to buy a mated queen to replace my aggressive ones.
You can wait for a supercedure, but you’re still continuing them same blood line and who knows what the blood line of the drones will be like.
The former is a more desirable and cost effective approach. But you have weigh up whether you can wait to see how the hive develops under the new queens influence.
I wasn’t prepared to gamble because mine were so aggressive.
They are not aggressive at all thankfully, really placid! I have a queen order due for delivery hopefully early June, I don’t want to have an excess of queens which I then need to find homes for so will just have to wait it out! Bees could’ve timed it better really!

They are not aggressive at all thankfully, really placid! I have a queen order due for delivery hopefully early June, I don’t want to have an excess of queens which I then need to find homes for so will just have to wait it out! Bees could’ve timed it better really!
Yes, they don’t seem to be working to the same diary, do they.

Latest posts

Back