Moving to 14x12 frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowena

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just a quick question, I have one apiary on national standard and one on 14x12’s.

I have moved a hive from one to the other and I now want to move a standard hive onto 14x12 frames.

Which is the best and most efficient way of doing this?

I am assuming that the existing queen will be laying well as can see lots of bees through the crown board. However there is every chance I might miss the good weather in the ne xt couple of days as been waiting for my Abelo brood box which will be available to pick up on Wednesday. This means there may well be a good bit of sealed brood on the shallower frames by the time I’m happy with the temperature to dig about in the box.

Also to note I have only a couple of drawn 14x 12 frames ready for use. (Not very organised)

Just a quick question, I have one apiary on national standard and one on 14x12’s.

I have moved a hive from one to the other and I now want to move a standard hive onto 14x12 frames.

I am assuming that the existing queen will be laying well as can see lots of bees through the crown board. However there is every chance I might miss the good weather in the ne xt couple of days as been waiting for my Abelo brood box which will be available to pick up on Wednesday. This means there may well be a good bit of sealed brood on the shallower frames by the time I’m happy with the temperature to dig about in the box.

Also to note I have only a couple of drawn 14x 12 frames ready for use. (Not very organised)
If you're looking at four or five smaller frames I'd just insert them in between the 14 x 12 frames. The bees will extend comb below the smaller frames. You will need to handle the extended comb carefully to stop it breaking off but once the majority of the box is in use you can steadily work the shorter frames out of the stack. Practice the art of keeping the comb in a vertical plane when turning during inspections.

Hi, it started with me being given a dartington hive, Which was on 14x12s but quickly learnt the problems with the hive, but I also liked the larger frames and found the bees and management better. In the past have tried brood and a half and double brood but my back will just not take all the lifting. The dartington gave me 2 hives on 14 x 12 now in Abelo deep roof and for ease I just want all the hives in one location to be on 14x12s.

Also not necessarily after huge colonies.

Hi, it started with me being given a dartington hive, Which was on 14x12s but quickly learnt the problems with the hive, but I also liked the larger frames and found the bees and management better. In the past have tried brood and a half and double brood but my back will just not take all the lifting. The dartington gave me 2 hives on 14 x 12 now in Abelo deep roof and for ease I just want all the hives in one location to be on 14x12s.

Also not necessarily after huge colonies.
I've done this swap loads of times ..it's not a problem.. the bees will just add comb to the bottom of the standard national frames ... it's really not that delicate .. just handle the frames gently until the wax has hardened off - you can then swap the frames out a couple of frames at a time by inserting 14 x 12 frames next to the brood nest and they will draw them out.. Simples. ...

Here you go:

Varroa certainly do :devilish: :)
Prefer what big frames ? Free comb ? Any evidence for this ... I've not seen any. Yes varroa will prefer drone brood and sometimes the bees will build drone comb out of preference ... but it has no appreciable effect on infestation ....

Prefer what big frames ? Free comb ? Any evidence for this ... I've not seen any. Yes varroa will prefer drone brood and sometimes the bees will build drone comb out of preference ... but it has no appreciable effect on infestation ....

No no - big colonies, not big frames. I am fully in support of as much drone comb as they want (and 14x12 if that's what suits).

All thank you for the various responses, think I will give the utilisation of the existing brood frames and then swapping them out slowly.

All thank you for the various responses, think I will give the utilisation of the existing brood frames and then swapping them out slowly.
Best way ...let them use the resources they have spent building the existing comb ... plenty if time to move old comb out over a couple of seasons ...or longer ...keep the old frames ...great for bait hives or those occasions when you really need another few frames. Protect them from wax (Dipel or similar) and they will be good for years ...

Latest posts

Back