moving the entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dookie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
After catching my first swarm i put them into a new hive. All went fine, until today when i went back to check. When i have put the brood box on i must have left a little gap between the box and the floor, and they are using that instead of the main entrance. Ive now closed that gap in hope that they will find the correct entrance but i dont know if ive made a bad decision.

Cheers

Richard

After catching my first swarm i put them into a new hive. All went fine, until today when i went back to check. When i have put the brood box on i must have left a little gap between the box and the floor, and they are using that instead of the main entrance. Ive now closed that gap in hope that they will find the correct entrance but i dont know if ive made a bad decision.

Cheers

Richard

Good call. They will. You'll see Nasonov fanning and walking bees but they'll be sorted in a day or so.

Just to hedge that very slightly; there would be a tinytinytiny chance that you had a cast swarm and a virgin out for a mating flight. I mean about 1%, at that time of the day. Just worth checking when you get back that she's not taken up residence below the OMF, is all. Any bees that do so initially will be fine and will soon find the proper entrance but HM would be a different story. Just a check that's all, not a special journey or an alarm.

Back