Moving Queen Cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beenovice

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can I move a frame containing a capped QC from one hive into another that is suspected queenless?

For that matter, could you also move an uncapped QC?

You can, but I wouldn't move it into a SUSPECTED queen less! Eggs would be better.

That was a close one! Went to apiary this evening to carry out the move. Suspected queenless hive has a good quantity of eggs. Note to self- Patience! patience! Patience!

That was a close one! Went to apiary this evening to carry out the move. Suspected queenless hive has a good quantity of eggs. Note to self- Patience! patience! Patience!

So, here's hoping you didn't stick a sealed queen cell into a queenright colony. Do that and have a swarm issue in 10 minutes.

If the eggs are from what you think is a newly mated queen how long have they taken to appear after the queen emerged? My point being, even a queen that has not mated will start laying eggs at some point. Check first cappings.

This hive was actually a collected swarm. I carried out an AS on 16th April, and reduced the brood side to 2 queen cells on 21st April. This caused them to swarm on the 2nd May, which is what I collected. So it would have been a newly emerged queen around then. Hopefully this is not too long ago for it to be the queen that is laying?
What are people thoughts on these timings?
I suppose I will know in 9 days or so when they are capped!

Back