moving hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mandeville,

It is generally accepted that after two weeks the bees will re-orientate on leaving the hive and will have forgotten previous homing 'directions'. That is why if moved relatively short distances in summer, they need to be moved away from both the old and new site by the '3 mile rule' for a couple of weeks to be sure they will not return to the old site (or the 'two week' site).

Does affect where we can sensibly move bees after the OSR and to, say, beans (not normally 2 weeks available without losing some honey crop); it can be frustrating as to ''where which hives can be moved to'', particularly if one just operates around the local area.

Regards, RAB

Regards, RAB

To answer your question Chris the theory is that after 3 days of confinement they will have forgotten their home location so when it's cold and they haven't flown for 3 or 4 days it's OK to move.

I moved a nuc 50 feet last week and it hadn't flown for 6 or 7 days.
Today was the first day they came out (so confined about 14 days total).

About 30 or 40 bees went back to the old site but they didn't stay long. Were only 4 or 5 still hanging around at 3.00 pm so looks like it's worked.

Likewise with the 3 yards rule , I've seen hives moved 10 feet at a branch apiary in the Summertime, after some confusion , the bees soon sorted themselves out and normal foraging commenced :)
I questioned the old hand doing the move ,his response was "Bee's aren't stupid, watch what happens" :eek:

John Wilkinson

victor meldrew,

Shouldn't be too bad 3 yards and 10 feet are about the same!

For the befuddled newcomers, John meant 'the 3 foot' rule. I know you knew it as well!

Regards, RAB

victor meldrew,

Shouldn't be too bad 3 yards and 10 feet are about the same!

For the befuddled newcomers, John meant 'the 3 foot' rule. I know you knew it as well!

Regards, RAB
Sorry Rab Saturday night , couple of scoops , should have said 10 yards :D:D:D.
John Wilkinson

About 30 or 40 bees went back to the old site but they didn't stay long. Were only 4 or 5 still hanging around at 3.00 pm so looks like it's worked.

Hi PeterS,

Yes, I've seen this after moving them back after a 3 week/3 mile break last summer. About 40 were back at the old site by 10 in the morning, but by 3 pm they were all gone.

Over time I am going to paint all my roofs different colours so that they can orientate themselves better.

Many thanks

ChrisMcD

Latest posts

Back