Moving hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freddywasadevil

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hi, I just bought 4 commercial hives and colonies and plan to collect them tomorrow evening. In moving them, what's the story on opening them up again. Some say wait till its fully dark and others let them settle for half an hour, they should all be in bed by the time I pick them up but I'm sure it will be still a little bright by the time I get them home it's not much of a journey

i would but and travel screen on them so they dont over heat plus a screen on the front so air can flow i take it they are three miles plus away from your apairy after getting them their i would see how they settle before taking the next step dont forget to have the frames parallel to the car and not horizontal cos if you brake and accelarate the frames will be swinging not good for the bees. If all ok and bees calm open them up dont for get your veil good luck let us know how you get on
Alannot worthy

Cheers Alan, first year bee keeper and it's spiralling out of control, should have seven full hives before long.

moved mine in a rush on Saturday morning - advice i was given here was to do it first thing in the morning, which i think was spot on - so having straped them up the previous day, i started out at 3.30am only to find hundreds clustered outside on 3 of the 7 hives, smoker worked a treat to get them inside. blocked the entrances with foam 20 minutes to load (with help of forklift) then 4 miles slow drive. by the time i had stripped the trailer sides off (20 mins) i just opened them up, not especially happy but they were OK, interestingly the one hive with a mesh floor was the quitest by far on opening.

I moved mine (a couple of weeks ago) early-ish in the morning and allowed them out soon after they arrived. This worked fine for me.

Make sure the hives are securely fastened. I recommend using the rachet-type straps.

The only top tip I was given about moving bees in a car (assuming they are in a car and not a pick up/van) was to use your nose.

If you start smelling a "caramel" like smell then they are too hot. You need to stop and cool them down with a water spray.

Not too sure on the strength of this advice so others may care to comment.

Bobster

With regards to moving hives - I am about to move house which happens to be within the '3mile' rule..... it's 2.65 miles to be exact. What should I do??

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this predicament.

Thanks

With regards to moving hives - I am about to move house which happens to be within the '3mile' rule..... it's 2.65 miles to be exact. What should I do??

Thanks

they should be ok.Put a branch in front of the hive,it gives them something to remember the hive entrance.Hives have been moved much shorter distances than 2.65 miles doing this

Thanks

I haven't had this experience so couldn't really comment, however, just for clarification, is this 2.65 miles by road? If so, the actual distance could be a lot shorter.

Back