Moving hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricky

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I moved two hives about an eight of a mile. How long will it take for the bees to get orientated with their new location?

an eighth of a mile is a little bit close (think of the three feet three miles rule - although that is open to a bit of licence) - you may find them going back to the old location. Did you put a board or a load of branches or something over the entrance to convince them to re-orientate?

It was a case where I had to move them, I covered the entrance when I moved them, then opened it back up when I had them in their new location.

Tricky - at that distance, it's highly unlikely that they will be interested in the new location. They will usually orientate themselves back to their original location, when moved within foraging distance - hence the 3 feet / 3 mile reference. Most likely scenario is that you find a lot of very confused and possibly agitated bees at the original site. You will probably need to correct this, sooner rather than later.

The property was flooding, so I really had no choice. It's two strong hives, hopefully they can make the transition , but your right about being agitated!!! Lol

Tricky - if they are congregating back at the original site, there is no chance that they will decide to move out to their holiday home. You will need to re-house them and move them again, this time > 3miles (certainly more than 1/8 mile) or you stand to lose them.

Depends on the temperature really,you can even move them within the same apiary during prolonged cold weather,also depends to some extent on the topography of the area.

Last edited:
Well, yes (assumption being that they are flying - US location noted).

I'm in Louisiana and it is in the 80s here, we've had a lot of rain in my area. I'm hoping to gain permission from a farmer soon to put them on his farm.

Sorry to hear about the rain - and flooding! Though it may be the least of your worries, I'd be inclined to check on the whereaouts of the majority of your bees.

I agree with what is being said.
If you get them altogether again and have nowhere to move them to that is 3mls away then have a read of this:
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10209

Additionally, if still not able to avoid the new location (have you contacted your local association or bee inspector?) Then some other ideas may help.

The trick is to ensure a complete reboot of a bees memory map takes place across as.many bees as possible.

So when they all in the colony seal it up and place a number of bushy branches across the front of the colony. Those that come out will be forced up and to re-orientate their mental maps. They are foragers looking for nectar and pollen.

It is usual to keep the bees in 3-4 days after a shorter move. You may choose this time of year to artificially feed 1:1 syrup or fondant and pollen patty.

The bees locked in until your ready and getting all their necessary food sources, it will be the start of your reprogramming.
So when you do open them you could place another food source close by the colony to focus the foragers attention, those that have started to re-orientate through the various branches etc.

You will need a hive in the old location to gather up the bees who still determine to return. This time of year you could be quite lucky in so far as many foragers will be winter bees who will be dying off soon to be replaced by fresh foragers who will accept the new conditions more easily.

Good luck,
Sam

I moved one last year a mile and faced it into a bush. Some came back, but very few and it became a vigorous colony.

I agree it can be less, I Have moved colonies two years running short distances of just under two miles and had only a few foragers return from one colony.

I do however have a large hill between the two locations and they are on opposite sides of it when moved.

Yes folks, but this move is 1/8 mile. That's 220 yards. They could see the old site from there! Academic by now - Tricky, where are your bees?

Last edited:
Back