Moving hive 60-70 metres/yards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin921

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

At some point in time between the end of autumn and spring I want to relocate my hive between 60 and 70 metres/yards and would appreciate any advice on the subject.

Pick a cold couple of weeks when the forecast says it will be below 5 degrees for quite a while, seal the entrance and move very gently with two people, leave in situ with entrance sealed until they have settled. For extra certainty you can put a piece of glass across the entrance lent against the hive so that if the bees do manage to fly quite soon they will hit the glass and have to turn left or right to get out, but as long as they are in the hive for a few days there should be no real problem. When they come out they will reorientate with no problem. Done it several times and never had a problem. It is a good time of the year to get your hives where you really want them!
E

Enrico is spot on! - instead of the piece of glass, you could stuff the entrance with grass, anything to let them know it's changed outside .
(this is all assuming you are on open mesh floor)

Hi all,

At some point in time between the end of autumn and spring I want to relocate my hive between 60 and 70 metres/yards and would appreciate any advice on the subject.

Yards fine as per enrico's advice but I've never done it in metres, that's a totally different kettle of fish so I'm not too sure

Or you could put the hive onto a wheelbarrow and move it about 3ft a day, that way you can be confident no bees will get mislaid.

I've tried stuffing the entrance with grass, but it didn't work for me/my bees.

Or you could put the hive onto a wheelbarrow and move it about 3ft a day, that way you can be confident no bees will get mislaid.

I've tried stuffing the entrance with grass, but it didn't work for me/my bees.
Not really practical to move it 3 feet a day due to obstacles such as my house and a large koi pool. I don't think my wife would be too impressed either as the hive progresses in 3 foot steps across the deck.

I've tried stuffing the entrance with grass, but it didn't work

You're not alone Joyful....and I'll stop using that phrase!

it's meant to advise lightly blocking the entrance with green grass clippings which naturally shrivel over a day and eventually let the bees out.

richard

Latest posts

Back