Moving from one frame size (hive type) to another.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inkywillow

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice please.

Yesterday I was given a small swarm in a very small 6 frame box (sorry don't know the type) but obviously it doesn't match the rest of my hives which are all Dadants. The guy who donated the swarm wants the box back over the next week or two so I need to get the girls into a Dadant hive pronto.

I haven't been through the box thoroughly yet but they seem to have drawn comb out over at least 4 frames. So, my questions are:

What is the best way of transferring the comb from the old frames to the new?

and

What is the best method for transferring the bees to the new hive.

and

Is there anything else I need to know about moving them over?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Tom

With your time scale shake them into your hive and give him back the drawn combs.
Normally I would say to perch the new hive on top (with a bit of ply as a support or adaptor plate as I think of them) and let them get started up there and put in an excluder so to keep HM up there and after three weeks (to let the brood hatch from the bottom) job done.

PH

Thanks for your quick reply.

If I find eggs in the comb, should I cut out those frames for the new hive?

Tom

Do you have to return the frames if not you could attach them to a dadant top bar and use a bit of scrap wood to fill out the side Ted Hoopers book shows this for national to commercial of have a look at mbk wed page and look at their frame converter

Latest posts

Back